Pi can't connect after turning on and off modem

Expected Behaviour:

PI Bodel B+ withRaspbian Lite connected via eth directly to the modem, Pihole to the latest version. DHCP Pi server. Everything was working fine until I rebooted my modem.

Actual Behaviour:

I had to reboot my modem because soetimes it gets a little too hot and makes my connection drop.
After rebooting, the Pi was unable to connect, so couldn't assign IP's to my devices. Turns out that the Pi cannot connect to the modem anymore, no matter what I do.
Happened to me a couple of times, only way I found was to re-install everything from scratch.
PI is now turned off.

Debug Token:

Can't accesso to the PI, can't provide a token.

I hate when the modem gets hot.

Did you try to change mac address for eth0?
ifconfig

Helped me a few times to get the modem working.

sudo ifconfig eth0 down
sudo ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00: 33: 11: 33: 44: 55
sudo ifconfig eth0 up

Thanks for your reply.

The issue is that I can't SSH into PI because it's not connected to the internet, so I can't change its Mac address.

I strongly suspect it is issue with your modem.

This is my assumption so far.

But the thing is: why can my phone and everything else I use at home connect after the reset with no issues, but the PI can't?

I recently got a public IP activated, can this be the issue? I don't think so, but I'm trying to think outside the box.

This sounds like another DHCP server is active on your network after the reset, probably running on your modem/router. They might hand out a different IP scope than you manually set on your PI device.

Ok, this may be the cause of why the PI is not connecting after I reset my modem.

But why doesn't he connect when I restart the modem in the first place?

That's indeed strange.

Please upload a debug log and post just the token generated by

pihole -d

allowing to upload when prompted, or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

I tried to connect the pi to my monitor and now I'm getting a black screen at boot, so something must be broken in Raspbian. I don't know how this is possible: the only thing I did was turning it off and on again via "the hard way".

That's not only one thing, it's the thing. The hard power loss can lead to all kinds of file system corruptions, resulting in issues like the one you experience right now.

Best would probably to flash the OS again.

It sounds like time for a fresh OS install for the Pi, ideally on a new SD card if you have one.

You think the SD card may be corrupted? I already re-installed the OS and PiHole like 6 or 7 times, I don't know if I have the strength.

I can try to get a new SD Card and see if that fixes the issue, but if it doesn't... I don't know what to do honestly.

Have you checked other parts of the Pi setup? What power supply are you using, and from where is that getting power? Changed out the ethernet cable? Connected ethernet to a different port on the router?

I tried changing port on the router, changing eth cable and even reversing it. I'm using a 5.0V, 1.8A as a power supply, which has always worked fine.

I tried with another power supply (5V, 2A) but I'm still not able to get a life sign from the PI.

Quick update: got a new SD Card (a class 10 this time). I installed Raspbiand and PiHole and tried to restart the modem... All of my devices didn't connect in the first place, so I rebooted the PI to and now everything's working fine (I hope).

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.