Pi-Aware problems

Hello! I have a related issue: I am able to get to my local PiAware front page, but it is extremely slow to respond. Clicking on the link for the map display usually just sits and spins. The outline of the page comes up sometimes, but no map/aircraft data. I am running Pi-Hole and Pi Aware on a separate RPi's.
This issue only began after I installed the PiHole RPi a few days ago. The PiAware web interface worked normally before that.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Can you please share more details about your setup? It's not clear if you have PiAware and Pi-hole on two separate RPis or if you installed Pi-hole on the same Pi you're using for PIAware (which is what the original problem description was).

In both cases, before we dig any further, check your PIAware lighttpd logs (/var/log/lighttpd/error.log and access.log) to see if there are any "obvious" errors or warnings. For example, in my case my old logs had this message:

2020-04-02 21:10:14: (server.c.1493) WARNING: unknown config-key: alias.url (ignored)

which clued me into what my issue was. You might have something similar.

Secondly, if you're running on two separate RPis try changing your DNS back to not Pi-hole, power off Pi-hole and see if the problem goes away. Try from another device (e.g. your phone) to make sure it's not an issue with your computer.

If you are running on two separate devices, and the issue does not go away even when Pi-hole is out of the equation, then you should ask for help from the Flightaware community.
If instead the problem happens only when Pi-hole is involved, hopefully we can find a solution, but as I mentioned we need more details.

Thanks

Hi

Thank you so much for your fast reply. I greatly appreciate all of your advice and troubleshooting.
I am indeed running 2 separate Pi's (which I realize was not the original issue on the previous thread).

Taking your advice, I changed my DNS back to not Pi-Hole and powered off Pi-Hole.
The symptoms/issues with the PiAware data page being very slow to respond or being completely non-responsive continued however. (I also checked the /var/log/lighttpd/error.log and access.log and did not find anything out of the ordinary).

Long story short, I discovered internal network latency between my PiAware and router was likely the cause, not Pi-Hole. (Rookie mistake on my part)

I powered up the Pi-Hole Pi and set my DNS back to Pi-Hole. PiAware and Pi-Hole are both working normally along with the rest of my network + devices.

Details: While troubleshooting I noticed a wide range of ping times while pinging my PiAware Pi (40-200+ms) from different devices around the house. Also, the failure of the page was very inconsistent (half load, no data, no map, etc).
I had rebooted all of the devices before but apparently this final reboot allowed the PiAware to find a better 2.4ghz channel to the router. I had just recently moved some devices from my 5ghz channel to my 2.4ghz channel which I think caused the issue.

Thank you again for your advice and assistance with this. I learned a lot from your guidance!

1 Like