PHP and updating - Jessie

I have a small problem when updating:

[i] Checking for php5-xml (will be installed)
  [i] Checking for php-intl (will be installed)
  [i] Processing apt-get install(s) for: php5-xml php-intl, please wait...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package php5-xml
E: Unable to locate package php-intl

Unable to complete update, please contact Pi-hole Support

Any ideas?

Please post the token generated by

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

Here is the token: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/98col9c5p8

That is a SWEET feature!!

You're right, it is :slight_smile:

It also tells us this:

[✓] Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)

Jessie is out of support, and a non-supported OS for Pi-hole. You'll need to update to 9 (stretch) or 10 (buster)

2 Likes

You are running an unsupported OS:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Operating system
[✓] Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)

We have moved this post to the Community Help category and perhaps another user can help you sort the missing dependencies.

Or, update to either Stretch or Buster, both of which are supported.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the quick response. I'll take care of the upgrade.

1 Like

One last question mods/admins - @jfb @PromoFaux
If I export using the Teleporter, when running pre-v5 on Jessie... after a fresh install of Buster or whatever is the latest Raspbian, can I import it again so I hit the ground running?

You should be good to go, yes.

Thank you!

With a few caveats. Pi-hole V4 teleporter may not export your custom configurations, like /etc/hosts, and it does not export /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf, for example. These you will need to copy manually.

Here is what is exported (I don't use Pi-hole as DHCP, so none of those files are in my export):

I apologize for what might be a dumb question. I installed my pi-hole with Jessie following a tutorial originally. I see that I need to upgrade the OS now to upgrade further. Is there a way to update the OS while keeping all my pihole/DNS settings/etc. or do I need to start all over again to accomplish this? Thanks in advance!

You can do an in-place update. See the section on editing /etc/apt/sources.list. I would try to make the jump all the way to Buster, and skip Stretch.

Ok, that makes sense. My sources.list file is from raspbian.org Can I still just replace Jessie with Buster and go from there? I see a lot of references to Wheezy on the raspbian.org website and it makes me a bit unsure. Sorry if these are odd questions!

Yes. This will tell the OS which repositories to load. Note this may take quite a while, and you will be asked y/n questions during the upgrade process

I ran the first script and it worked fine. After I ran sudo apt -y dist-upgrade it froze when it tried to connect to mirror.sjc02.svwh.net and gave me errors about failing to fetch some archives.

I've run apt-get update as suggested in the prompt, but it keeps stopping at the same point. Any idea what I can do from here? Hopefully I haven't messed up the update somehow :-/

This will temporarily reset the nameserver on the Pi to bypass Pi-Hole DNS.

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

edit nameserver 127.0.0.1 to nameserver 9.9.9.9 or your preferred third party DNS service, save and exit

Then run the apt commands.

Thanks for the info. I kept running it and it finally connected. Unfortunately, after the installation was complete the system became unresponsive and lost connection (was using putty). The raspberry pi no longer even shows up on the network, so I guess I have to start from scratch at this point :-/ Hope I can find the tutorials again for all that, lol.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.