OpenVPN + Pihole: Pihole works on LAN, VPN connects, but can't ping or connect to the internet or devices in my home network other than pihole over the VPN connection

What does the iptables show for the rulesets and chains that are now being applied?

Edit: What user is that rc.local script running under? Does it have permission to use iptables commands?

It's running under root and has rwx permissions, how do I see weather it has permission to use iptables, I think these are the rules and chains you asked for

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:openvpn

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  10.8.0.0/24          anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
-P INPUT ACCEPT
-P FORWARD ACCEPT
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 1194 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -s 10.8.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT

The chains don't really do much. Default policy is ACCEPT for all chains so nothing will be blocked.

Check the nat table to see if the rules you listed in rc.local are applied.

How do I check the nat tables?

iptables -t nat <other commands here>

I think they are, this is the output of iptables -t nat -L

Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
SNAT       all  --  10.8.0.0/24         !10.8.0.0/24          to:192.168.1.2

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Okay, then it seems like the rules you have asked to be applied have been applied. It's just a matter of finding out what rules need to be applied. That's not a topic I'm able to assist with.

Okay, thanks for all your help

I just discovered that I no longer have a tun0 interface, which is I expect, why I can't connect. I don't know why I no longer have it, I restarted 4 hours ago to test if the rc.local fix had worked and that's when I couldn't connect anymore, so I expect that's when my tun0 interface disappeared.

Probably the OpenVPN service crashed/stopped?

journalctl -u openvpn

As postrouting rule we btw use -j MASQUERADE instead of -j SNAT --to 192.168.1.2. But I'm also no expert in this.

sysctl-wise forwarding is enabled?

sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1 net.ipv6.conf.default.forwarding=1

This is the output of the first command:

-- Logs begin at Tue 2020-07-07 13:30:23 BST, end at Tue 2020-07-07 15:28:15 BST. --
-- No entries --

The second command executed without error

I changed it to -j MASQUERADE in rc.local and restarted, due to the restart, tun0 reappeared and I was able to connect to the vpn, however, I still don't have an internet connection and am unable to connect to devices on the local network

Could there be some other firewall blocking the connection? I pretty sure that ufw is disabled, but not 100%. I'm very confused though as to why correctly adding the line into the rc.local file could have caused something to stop allowing the connections through even when I manually execute each of the commands I was given earlier in the thread, which worked before the line was correctly added to rc.local.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.