One domain messing up all statistics

Hi all,

I have some Xiaomi routers which are very frequently calling their api domain api.miwifi.com.
This is not a malicious domain but this accounts for about 50% of all DNS queries in my network so that it has a major impact on the statistics no matter if I permit or block the domain.

Is there a possibility to exclude this domain from the statistics?

I can exclude the domain from being shown in the lists of permitted/blocked domains but I would really like to see the statistics without this domain being counted.

Thanks in advance,
D.

From the top domains only, not from overall stats or the query log.

I would look for WAN DNS settings on the router and assign that to something other than Pi-hole.

If you let Pi-hole do DHCP services for your network instead of your router, you can configure it to assign different DNS IP's to particular clients based on their MAC address.
In below example I configure my Samsung phone with MAC 0C:2F:B0:XX:XX:XX to be assigned Cloudflare's DNS IP's 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1:

pi@ph5a:~ $ sudo nano /etc/dnsmasq.d/99-my-settings.conf
dhcp-host=0C:2F:B0:XX:XX:XX,set:cloudflare
dhcp-option=tag:cloudflare,option:dns-server,1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1
pi@ph5a:~ $ pihole-FTL --test
dnsmasq: syntax check OK.
pi@ph5a:~ $ sudo service pihole-FTL reload
pi@ph5a:~ $

While the rest of my clients still get my Pi-hole hosts 10.0.0.2 & 10.0.0.4 assigned for DNS:

pi@ph5b:~ $ pihole-FTL dhcp-discover
[..]
* Received 324 bytes from eth0:10.0.0.2
[..]
   dns-server: 10.0.0.2
   dns-server: 10.0.0.4

Below the man pages which describes tagging "set:cloudflare" and advertising DHCP options:

https://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

Thanks a lot for the fast reply!
As the routers are used as wifi network extenders I seem to have no access to the DNS settings on the routers.

Thank you, that seems the method I am looking for :slightly_smiling_face:
I will try this tonight

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.