One ad still getting through

I installed Pi-hole and it seems to work, most ads are gone, but on cnn.com I still see an ad. Looking into details, it appears to come from this domain

https://s3.amazonaws.com/content-marketing/widgets/LT_030119_CNN_RateTable_Blue_Responsive_HTML5/index.html

How do I block it? I tried to add s3.amazonaws.com to the blacklist but I still see that ad. Is there anything I can do to remove ads like this one?

Thanks

Pi-Hole is a domain blocker, and wil not block a specific path on an allowed domain. If the domain is allowed, all content from that domain is allowed.

I opened cnn.com and did not see any ads with the default blocklists for Pi-Hole. Can you post a screen shot of the ad you are seeing, including the URL of the page that loaded?

If you are certain that the ad is from the URL you noted, and that domain is blocked, then clear your browser cache and restart the browser and then reload the page.

Please post the output of pihole -q -adlist s3.amazonaws.com from the Pi terminal.

As an added note.

Blocking s3.amazonaws.com will break A LOT of websites. Many of the worlds websites and resources are hosted there so if you do decide to block that host be aware this will break a lot of things

2 Likes

Thanks, the add is further down the page, i need to scroll almost all the way to the bottom to see it.

I ran the command and it lists a lot of results, too many to copy, I need to find a way to move files from Raspberry Pi to MacBook. It ends with "Over 50 results found, skipping rest of file"

You can show all the results by expanding the search command to:

pihole -q -adlist -all s3.amazonaws.com

To copy this entire output to your clipboard from the Mac terminal (assuming you are ssh into the Pi from the Mac terminal); after the command has completed use the key combination command-shift-up arrow, and the entire output will be in your clipboard. From there, paste it into a text editor or other app on the Mac.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I did exactly what you suggested and I cannot post it here since I am limited to only 5 links. I put all that in a google doc. Hope you can view it.

Please let me know what you think.

Give it a try, you can't really do something permanent. Add that domain to your blacklist via the web interface and if it breaks more than you are comfortable with, then you can remove it.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.