Old local domain keeps appearing. Though new local domain's being used

Expected Behaviour:

All devices should report to use the new local, internal domain.

A few months ago, change the local, internal domain to a new one. Yet, many devices still use the old one.

Actual Behaviour:

Some devices use the new local internal domain name and some continue to use the old domain name

Debug Token:

(https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/rLGeft4G/)

All clients that acquire IP details via DHCP will use the one thats configured in your router/Pi-hole DHCP settings.
Run below one and you can see what search/suffix domain is advertised via DHCP:

pi@ph5b:~ $ pihole-FTL dhcp-discover
Scanning all your interfaces for DHCP servers
[..]
   domain-name: "home.dehakkelaar.nl"

If you supply the type of OS/version for some of these misbehaving DHCP clients, I could supply you with some commands to run to see if they honor the settings advertised?

And for clients that dont acquire details via DHCP but have static IP details assigned instead, they wouldn't know about this domain thats being advertised.
For that, you have to supply the search/suffix domain in another way like for example my Pi-hole host below thats configured with static IP details:

pi@ph5b:~ $ tail /etc/dhcpcd.conf
[..]
interface eth0
  static ip_address=10.0.0.4/24
  static routers=10.0.0.1
  static domain_name=home.dehakkelaar.nl
  static domain_name_servers=10.0.0.1
pi@ph5b:~ $ dhcpcd -U eth0
[..]
domain_name='home.dehakkelaar.nl'
pi@ph5b:~ $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by resolvconf
domain home.dehakkelaar.nl
[..]

I see the same thing happening when I use multiple OS images on the same machine. Pi-hole continues to show it as, say, ubuntu2204.lan even though it's now called testmint.lan.

I tried using Settings > Flush network table but that doesn't fix it. But if I do that and then also hit Restart DNS resolver, it comes back up and the names are all now correct.

I'm not sure if you're describing the same thing (it would imply Pi-hole has been up for months) but, if it is, you could try that and see if it helps.

Below is what I get back when I run the command you suggested:

sudo pihole-FTL dhcp-discover

* Received 351 bytes from eth0:192.168.1.1
  Offered IP address: 192.168.1.129
  Server IP address: N/A
  Relay-agent IP address: N/A
  BOOTP server: (empty)
  BOOTP file: (empty)
  DHCP options:
   Message type: DHCPOFFER (2)
   server-identifier: 192.168.1.1
   lease-time: 86400 ( 1d )
   netmask: 255.255.255.0
   router: 192.168.1.1
   dns-server: 192.168.1.8
   dns-server: 192.168.1.127
   tftp-server: "192.168.1.3"
      renewal-time: 43200 ( 12h )
   rebinding-time: 75600 ( 21h )
   domain-name: "forteinnovations.home"
   --- end of options ---

The misbehaving app is the Amazon Firestick 4K and a couple of MacOS based MacBooks running Catalina and Monterrey versions.

I tried. But I don't know think that it made any difference.
The device that I'm focused on solving is the Amazon Firestick 4K. The reason is because that device's neither its IP nor its hostname can be found on PiHole.

Am unfamiliar with Firestick.
But how does that device configure networking ...
did you manually put in the IP details on the device itself?
Because thats what it sounds like if the Firestick doesnt show up by name.
If you configure devices with static IP details, you should also supply the domain as explained:

Apple products can apply something thats called MAC randomization which can make it hard for Pi-hole to figure out the names behind these randomised MAC's:

Check if you can disable this one on the Apple devices for your LAN only.

EDIT: Ow and for devices that have static IP details configured, best to create a DNS record for it in Pi-hole so they show up by name:

http://pi.hole/admin/dns_records.php

The Firestick is configured using DHCP.

In regards to Wi-Fi randomization. I know what you're referring to. I turned it off on my iPhone. However, for the MacBooks, those are running older versions of MacOS as this feature was introduced in MacBooks 2018 and newer. The Macbooks in this case, are older than 2018 year. For both, I looked in the Local hostname and they all say Johns-MacBook-Pro.local but not sign of the official local hostname, which his forteinnovations.home. It's strange to me.

Ow I totaly missed above bit but both above dns-server IP's should be Pi-holed:

Am not that familiar with MacOS.
But someone else might chip in.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.