Oddball webpage behavior

Running Pi-Hole on an Ubuntu server ( 18.04 LTS ) alongside Cloudflared for DNS over HTTPS.
DNS Traffic is typically:

Client --> Pi-Hole Server --> Cloudflared --> Cloudflare DNS ( 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1 )

I would say 99% of all the webpages I view across multiple clients work as expected. Multiple browsers, multiple OS. ( Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Linux, Windows 10, etc )

A few pages, however, are all out of whack. Google News being one of the big ones.
When the connection is routed over the Pi-Hole -> Cloudflared path, the page doesn't quite load right.

If I point the Pi-Hole straight at the Cloudflare DNS servers ( Bypassing the cloudflared proxy for DNS over HTTPS ) the problem remains. Disabling all of the block lists and the DNS Cache feature also does not resolve the issue.

Note the " keyboard_arrow_right ", " keyboard_arrow_up " and " arrow_drop_down " oddities here.

These vanish if I bypass the Pi-Hole / Cloudflared proxy ( easiest is via Firefox DNS over HTTPS option straight to Cloudflare ) and the page displays normally.

Both Cloudflared and Pi-Hole are running at latest release versions.

Has anyone ever run into an issue like this ?

The debug token: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/r3fkpyxx7b

If you run into similar issues with some of your website, watch your Query Log for blocked entries, see also How do I determine what domain an ad is coming from?.

With Google news, it seems that some fonts may not display correctly due to gstaticadssl.l.google.com (appearing as a CNAME) being blocked:

Allowing fonts.gstatic.com by pressing the button on that line should fix your problem.

That may not happen immediately, as your client's OS and browser also employ their respective own DNS cache as well as other caches.
Try to clear them before you reassess your issue. In most browsers, hitting F5 will do so for a browser's cache.

Awesome, that did do the trick. Much thanks for that :smiley: ( was driving me nuts )

I figured it had to be something blocking it in the lists, but threw me for a loop when I disabled all the lists I'm running and it still had the same issue. I'm guessing the browser was still using a cached version of the page or I didn't reset something that needed to be once making the adlist changes.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.