NVIDIA driver install problem

The driver package is trying to pull something from the net while installing, but being blocked by Pi.Hole (Using other DNS fixes it) but I can't work out what, I've added this URL to the whitelist, and also checked the live logs for anything else but just can't seem to narrow it down

Not urgent, doesn't stop the install, just annoying each time I update the drivers

I haven't seen this issue when using the default lists (though I update via Nvidia GeForce Experience). You can use this guide to try to find the domain you need to whitelist:

Thanks, yea I've already checked the live log, I can't see anything related to nvidia at all being blocked, nor any URL that is being logged fixing the problem once I whitelist it

Totally stumped, but it is definitely PiHole blocking it, as it doesn't happen with a different DNS such as Googles

maybe cloud services like amazonaws.com?

Short-therm i advise you to disable the PiHole temporarily or use different DNS-Servers.
After that run Win+R -> "cmd" -> Enter -> "ipconfig /flushdns" -> Enter, kill GeForce Experience and restart the installation.

amazonaws.com is working fine, already flushed dns, and I don't use GFE :slight_smile:

disabled pihole and then flushed the dns-cache? hmmm amazonaws was just an example. The next step i would do was to run a Wireshark capture and look whereto the pc is calling

Looks like a old IE error on a old windows version

Indeed it does.
I suspect NVIDIA uses Mono (Windows .NET) for the installer.

Yea this is Win 10 RS2 and IE rarely gets opened :slight_smile:

I`ll give Wireshark a shot at some point, I don't install GPU drivers every day so it's only once in a while I have the problem, but happens on all NVIDIA GPU machines in the house using Pi.Hole for DNS

Thats odd, i got 9 PC's none of them get that error :slight_smile:

Hmm, that is strange, if it was a Pi.Hole default block that was causing it, it should happen on everyone's machines

I was about to suggest it could be the driver versions causing it, maybe only newer drivers call that URL, but one of my machines has an ancient onboard NVIDIA GPU and that uses ancient drivers, and has the same problem

I`ll set wireshark up tomorrow and have a play about, see if I can find it

Man you got me fooled thinking this was on a Linux distro :smiley:

But why the Wireshark thing if your only concerned about who is doing what kind of DNS queries and how to whitelist them ?
Why not tail the Pi-Hole logs for that one particular machine your trying to install the drivers on and see what comes up when you run the installer eg:

tailf /var/log/pihole.log | grep THE_IP_ADDRESS_NVIDIA_SYSTEM

These four entries appear as soon as the NVIDIA installer runs and throws up the error

Apr 17 13:40:27 dnsmasq[459]: query[A] gfwsl.geforce.com from 192.168.1.121
Apr 17 13:40:27 dnsmasq[459]: query[A] www.nvidia.co.uk from 192.168.1.121
Apr 17 13:40:27 dnsmasq[459]: query[A] images.nvidia.com from 192.168.1.121
Apr 17 13:40:27 dnsmasq[459]: query[A] www.googletagmanager.com from 192.168.1.121

All of them are either already whitelisted or not on the block list in the first place

If you disable Pi-hole via the web interface (but keep it as the DNS server), do you get the same error? Make sure to flush the DNS cache after disabling and before testing.

Yeah i hope :slight_smile:

It is known, that Nvidia used obsolete software in history (German Article)
Maybe it's an IE bug?

Edit: OK now i have the same errors... Just klick on yes and during install the script wich changes the pictures: Klick yes or no that doesn't matter...

I've whitelisted the gfwsl.geforce.com domain and it worked for me :wink: