Nslookup / dns hijack? How can I tell?

Hey All:

I've been searching for a situation similar to this and haven't found anyone with a similar one so I am a bit puzzled how I ended up with it. Thus, I'm turning to you guys for help - with the full understanding that it may have nothing to do with PiHole but.... Here goes:

I'm running Pi-hole Version v3.1.4 Web Interface Version v3.1 FTL Version v2.11.1 (obviously on a raspberry pi). I have a firewall (pfsense with dns service shut off) which hands out ip's via dhcp and forces the dns to my pi-hole. Well, I happened to be on a Windows machine and noticed on a recent nslookup query, that my default dns server returns: "signal.auto.mydlink.com"

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc>nslookup discourse.pi-hole.net
Server: signal.auto.mydlink.com
Address: 192.168.0.10

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: discourse.pi-hole.net
Addresses: 2400:cb00:2048:1::6818:6d53
_ 2400:cb00:2048:1::6818:6c53_
_ 104.24.108.83_
_ 104.24.109.83_

?! What in the world is that?

I checked my ipconfig:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc>ipconfig /all | findstr /R "DNS\ Servers"
_ DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1_
_ DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10_

_ C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc>echo | nslookup | findstr "Default\ Server"_
_ Default Server: signal.auto.mydlink.com_

I checked my pi-hole admin console and verified that my UpStream DNS Server was NOT set for this. I have my (IPv4) DNS configured for custom at: 156.154.70.3 (neustar free dns filtering site)

• never forward non-FQDNs
  • never forward reverse lookups for private IP ranges

Granted, I do have a couple of DLink cameras in my house, but they are obviously not configured for dns so why in the world would an nslookup be looking at dlink?

Help!

(thanks in advance)
Rich

You might be experiencing the bug where the hostname of the Pi-hole is set to the last entry in the blacklist. This doesn't affect anything.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.