Not blocking ads

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

New install on Ubuntu 18.04.01.

Console says its blocking queries but if I wander over to doubleclick.net in a browser it comes right up. Also able to launch pages from within slickdeals.net.

Debug token is xvxbp7ovnb

I've set my ISP provided modem to point it's dhcp dns entries (primary and secondary) to the pihole. Disabled IP6 as well. Mapped a static ip4 entry (192.168.254.100) to the Ubuntu pihole pc. All network devices are set for dhcp and are receiving the pihole as their dns server from the ISP Actiontek modem. netstat shows 471, 80 and 53 listening by pihole-FTL. Not sure what I'm missing.

Your debug log appears normal. Use these tools to determine where the ads are coming from:

Note that your browser may have its own DNS assigned and traffic from it not going to Pi-Hole.

It's just odd. I replaced an in place and functioning Raspberry Pi Zero W with the Ubuntu PC install. Basically only infrastructure change was the dns pointer on the ISP provided router to the Ubuntu. I really only use an Amazon Fire Stick 4K for all my online activity. Silk browser and whatnot. No PC's, laptops, IOS devices etc. One Android phone but not really for online access. Anyway just tried doubleclick and slickdeals again and without any further changes or mods, it has automagically fixed itself. Which in my book is worse than being broken. Worked flawlessly for 2 years on the Zero. Just odd. I think I'll turn the PC into a pfsense router and dump pihole altogether. Thanks for your links to the faq though.

After you made the DNS changes to your network, did you renew the DHCP lease on all connected clients? If not, they retain the old DNS information until the end of their lease.

It worked flawelessly for two years, then you changed the host platform and the router DNS configuration, and it not longer worked. I don't think the problem is with Pi-Hole.

Of course. Rebooted ISP modem which forced reconnect of all wireless devices. I appreciate your assistance but I'm moving on. Thanks again.

For reasons not transparent to me, some Ubuntu installations seem to create an extra configuration file like /etc/dnsmasq.d/lxd that might interfere with Pi-hole's tailored dnsmasq configuration by restricting the interfaces that Pi-hole is listening on.

If you are not making use of LXD containers, moving or deleting that file from the /etc/dnsmasq.d/ folder might solve the problem.

As your case seems already solved:
If Ubuntu decides to put the file there, it might as well have redrawn it at a later time.
(This is, of course, purely a speculation on my behalf)

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.