Not blocking ad in Chrome

Hi, I've been searching this discourse for an answer for days, since the last update of Chrome pihole does not "work", or rather Chrome does random shit I've never asked for.

I've disabled async DNS, flushed the cache in Chrome and Windows 10, If I do a "nslookup" on the domains that I want to block everything is as it should.

But somehow Google Chrome still manages to lookup these addresses, what the heck is Google doing with the browser under the hood?

• Google Chrome: Version 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Firefox: 77.0.1 (64-bit)
  • Edge: Version 83.0.478.54 (Official build) (64-bit)

Expected Behaviour:

Google should not be able to resolve addresses that are blocked via pihole.

Actual Behaviour:

Google still manage to resolve the addresses, so it's nothing wrong with pihole per se, but the problem lies withing Google Chrome.

Printscreens:

1 Like

I've been searching for a solution for days now and have searched this discourse for a solution, this doesn't work for me.

I've followed the guide on 3 machines and "Google Chrome" still shows ads, other browsers like Edge (Chromium) and Firefox does not show ads.

Any idea of what the heck Google is doing under the hood might even consider switching to Firefox if this can't be resolved :frowning:

Running Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Firefox (all latest versions) under Windows 10.

Which version of Chrome or you using. Maybe it uses Doh?

Hi, I'm using Version 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit) and I've disabled "Secure DNS lookups"

Search within your browser's privacy settings for yet another feature in Chromium browsers that may redirect DNS traffic - look for an option innocently named "Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors" or similar:
dns-chrome
Depending on the Chromium browser you are using, this option may be named differently, e.g. Vivaldi chose a more explicit name:
dns-vivaldi

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.