No Internet Access after rebooting router using Pi-Hole and DNS-Over-HTTPS

Expected Behaviour:

I expect internet access when rebooting router using Pi-Hole as DNS server and Pi-Hole running DNS-Over-HTTPS (Cloudflared)

Actual Behaviour:

When i reboot my router (Nighthawk R7000), i lose internet acces.

This only happens when i use Pi-Hole as my DNS server (changing to ISP's DNS works fine)

I can sometimes get it to work by hard rebooting my router and rebooting Pi-Hole several times and waiting 5-10 minutes, but it's not a reliable solution.

I run Cloudflared on my Pi-Hole (DNS-Over-HTTPS) using 127.0.0.1#5053 as DNS server, but recently discovered that if i change my DNS to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1), i get internet access immidiately.

This has worked fine for now, and i can reboot my router with no problem, but i am curious to why Cloudflared only works sometimes.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/81ewsjo5s2

PS. i am blocking Google DNS to route hardcoded devices (read "Chromecast") to Pi-Hole.

This would indicate a Cloudflared problem. I would inquire at their support site.

Is your Pi powered from the router or a separate power supply?

I recommend that you modify the iptables to allow outgoing port 53 traffic from Pi-Hole. From your debug log:

[✗] Failed to resolve doubleclick.com via a remote, public DNS server (8.8.8.8)

There is nothing wrong with blocking 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

Except that it limits the ability of the debug script to check for external connectivity, since the script uses 8.8.8.8.

I thought the script pulled multiple resolvers. I now see it is indeed a problem if you are debugging. Sorry about that

My Pi runs on a seperate power supply.

Would this still route DNS request from Chromecast trough Pi-Hole? And how do you do that?

Yes.

This isn't a Pi-Hole feature, so I recommend that you look on a forum dedicated to IPTables and network routing.

I think i may have figured it out.

Could it be because of HTTPS certifications and wrong date and times?

When i reboot my router, the date and time is wrong (by months), and it can't connect to the NTP-server, because there is no internet access.

When i disable DNS-Over-HTTPS i get internet access immediately and the date and time is updated.

Afterwards i can enable DNS-Over-HTTPS again it works fine.

Is there a way to get the router to remember the date and time?

I would check the support site and forums for your router.

I'm having the same'ish problem. This has been happening after PG&E PSPS (power outage). My Edgerouter X is forcing all connections to the pi-hole. I can ping cloudflare but browsers give a DNS error. The way I've cleared it is to add Google DNS to the pihole and then remove it.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.