No ad blocking

I'm in the same boat here. Asus router, running Merlin. I have both the DHCP Server - DNS Server and the DNS Filter custom set to the IP of the raspberry pi running pi-hole. I don't have a secondary DNS set.

Hitting this site: [Mod Edit: Link no longer available]

The two add above the fold don't load, but when I scroll everything else loads. Thoughts?

I moved this to a new topic.

Please generate and upload a debug log and post the token here.

Thanks. Will do, in the morning.

I also have an update. I think it's working now, it seems to block some add but not all. I've been playing around with the Asus settings, not entirely sure which change made the difference.

I'm curious what configuration on the Asus router I should be using. For example, can I have the DNS Filter set to OpenDNS Home and have the DHCP DNS set to the pi-hole? I know this forum isn't for Asus devices, but I figured I would get better advice configuring DNS settings here.

1 Like

Your debug token is: 6wa25vtjas

I saw that there were comments in the previous thread that sites with adds were not visited during the debug script. I didn't see a prompt for timing on when to do this, the script ran too quickly. Am I missing something here?

Not following you here.

During debug, the Pi-Hole is tested to see if it can resolve a known blocked domain (which is chosen from your gravity list) using both the loopback address and the IP of the Pi-Hole. Then, a known good domain is requested via Google DNS to verify that the Pi can reach the internet. In your debug log, it looks like this. This shows that your Pi-Hole is working properly. Everything in your debug log is normal.

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv4) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✓] bor-bogdanych.com is 0.0.0.0 via localhost (127.0.0.1)
[✓] bor-bogdanych.com is 0.0.0.0 via Pi-hole (192.168.2.50)
[✓] doubleclick.com is 172.217.1.206 via a remote, public DNS server (8.8.8.8)

If you are seeing ads, it is likely that there is another DNS path that clients are using, bypassing Pi-Hole.

Typically, no. If you have the DNS filter set this way, some or all of your DNS traffic will go directly to OpenDNS and not through Pi-Hole.

@jfb, thanks for the quick response. I'll leave my deep the way it is, since it seems to be working.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.