Newbie clarifications in regards top recursive DNS with Unbound

Hello all :wave:t3:

I've just setup Unbound for recursive DNS on my pi-hole following this documentation Pi-hole as All-Around DNS Solution which seems very straight forward for someone who is new to this and I "think" its working correctly :thinking:

However, just want to clarify a couple of things to put my mind at ease if you don't mind.

When it comes to the configuration section and conf file /etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d/pi-hole.conf should this be already created by it self once you install Unbound or do you created it, then copy/ paste into the newly created file?

Then if you create it yourself, how does Unbound know to the use that specific conf file you created or do you need to point something to it?

As a bonus question for Plex. Is it a simple matter of just adding randomly 'private-domain: plex.direct' at the bottom of the my conf file or does it need to go somewhere specific? and do another settings anywhere else need to be done to get Plex to work correctly with secure connections?

Cheers.

Yes. You have to create it and copy the contents in the file and save it.

It automatically reads all the .conf files in that /etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d/ folder, based on the include: "/etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d/*.conf" instruction from the /etc/unbound/unbound.conf file.

That I can't answer as my network does not include any Plex servers ...

1 Like

Awesome, thank you @RamSet :pray:t3: I can now sleep a little better at night :smile:

1 Like

Have you performed the tests, from the end of the guide ?

If yes, and they worked (the dig commands) then your unbound instance is working properly.

Just make sure Pi-hole is set to use the unbound instance (IP and port) only, and you are set.

1 Like

All tested worked fine and I've set the Pi-Hole to the IP/Port as per guide. I just really wanted to clarify it for my own mind that kept questioning me all night. Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.