My Pi Hole project

Hi,

I'm reimaging my old Raspberry Pi with Raspbian Stretch with desktop now. Someone told me Wheezy that I'm now doesn't work or doesn't work right with Pi Hole. Have to upgrade....
After that's done, it will be installing Pi Hole on the Pi.
And then pointing my router at it. It sounded like I should use the Pi ip address as the sole DNS source for the router. If I put in 8.8.8.8 or my ISP's ip address, it wouldn't necessarily go in an order for prioritizing those, ie Pi Hole listed first doesn't mean 8.8.8.8 won't be used instead. Someone mentioned the router might even use the addresses round robin style. This is true? I would just point the router's DNS at the raspberry pi ip address?

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=199972
Product animation studio

Thanks!

Rasbpian Wheezy has been end-of-life for quite a while so new installs should use Stretch. Stretch is supported with updates and security fixes from Raspbian for quite a while. As to the DNS IP, yes, some routers will round robin addresses and some clients will query all available DNS servers and return the first response. There is a configuration that will force dnsmasq to use strict ordering, but the clients do not always follow that.

Take a look at Why should Pi-hole be my only DNS server? to see some more information on that.

I have set up PiHoles for a few people. I found in one case that a router demanded two DNS addresses - so I listed the PiHole IP twice and it worked fine. If your router software requires two entries, just put the PiHole in twice.

Any DNS you enter that doesn't go through the PiHole is a sneak path for ads. Depending on the router, it may use one or both of the DNS addresses.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.