My pi-hole isn't blocking ads!

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

pihole should block ads and run like usual

Actual Behaviour:

pihole isn't blocking ads. it is only blocking ads once in a while.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/bf4m45bv51

Your debug log did not upload. Please generate a new one.

And, please post a screen capture of your admin dashboard showing the last 24 hours graphs and header boxes, along with the output of the following command from the Pi terminal:

echo ">stats" | nc localhost 4711

sorry I replied so late.
The new debug token is https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/lic56ijrf8

screenshots:

13%20AM

Your debug log shows no problems. If you look at your graph of queries over time, from about 1930 to 0700 there were no queries received, but then they resumed a bit after 0700. I don't see anything in your log that shows FTL was restarted about 0700 (when the queries resumed), which indicates that Pi-Hole was running the entire time.

If it was running the entire time and did not receive any queries, there is perhaps another DNS server that clients were using.

In your router, what are the DHCP settings for DNS (what DNS server(s) are specified)? From a Windows PC (if you have one), what is the output of the following (both run directly on the command prompt and not via Putty session to the Pi):

nslookup pi.hole

ipconfig /all

I do not have a windows PC (I use a macbook air) But I could get screenshots of my router's settings.

On the Mac terminal, run these commands:

nslookup pi.hole

nslookup pi.hole 192.168.8.9

scutil --dns

screenshots:

39%20AM

In this forum, you can paste text replies directly into the reply, and this helps us copy text for troubleshooting.

Note that in Resolver 1 in the second output, that there are two DNS servers available to the client. The first is Pi-Hole, and the other is Cloudflare. The client is free to move to either server, and I suspect it moved to Cloudflare for some period of time.

But, the problem is, that I also want another DNS server because, In case something goes wrong with my RPi 3, I can still connect to the internet.

If you want redundancy/reliability and no ads, you need to run a second Pi-Hole and list that as the second DNS. As you have it configured, you have the backup but you don't have the ad-blocking, which defeats the purpose of having a Pi-Hole.

Pi's are very reliable, given a stable power supply. If you have a UPS, put the Pi on that so if you lose power the Pi won't have a sudden power loss (they don't take kindly to that).

If you have only one DNS server listed (and it's your only Pi-Hole), if you can't connect to the internet you should (1) check the Pi-Hole is running, and if it can't be restored then (2) shift your DNS to something other than Pi-Hole until you get the Pi-Hole running again.

Thanks. I'll try doing that.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.