Migrating Pi-Hole & Pi into a new network

I would like to gift a pihole-pi to my brother. I set it up, and it said - within the installer - that it would set the dhcp'ed ip to the static. No problem so war in my network. But my brother is using an other ip-range 192.168.x.x So wouldn't he run into problems, when he connected the raspi? Or is the dhcp client on the Raspi still running and pihole just fetches a new ip??
What to I have to change? and where? to make it easy for my brother,..

Thx in advance! Jimmy

Best practice would be to have him run pihole -r and select the reconfigure option

that will have the script go through and determine variables such as the IP/Subnet

Alright, thanks for the hint!
But is the raspi still fetching its ip via dhcp, or has pihole changed that behavior?

static ip would be set in dhcpd.conf i just nano'd the file on my end and found no entries

EDIT
/etc/dhcpcd.conf is where the static would be set. A quick way to check is to look at /etc/network/interfaces and see if the interface is manual which means dhcpcd is in control, or if it’s set to dhcp which would pull a dhcp IP address. If it is set to static then something has made that change and we should revert that before giving ti to your brother

thank You very much for Your help !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.