Master Blacklist combined as one ASCII database based on different text files

The user technicalpyro suggested to open a feature request to allow for voting. I cannot see anywhere here how to open a message for voting. I leave this to moderators then. I welcome a constructive response here.
#################################
This feature request is posted on Githib here:

[FEATURE REQUEST]:

It is excellent to have a possibility to configure separate blacklists.

Having done that, the question is to use it.

I suggest a feature to map and combine blacklists

to a single interface of the server
to a single host making the DNS queries
to multiple hosts making the DNS queries

A combined list may not be available for user handling from the web interface. This may be only for internal functions for performance reasons.

With this system, certain blacklist would be combined to one ASCII file - based on a user's choice and put together for faster DNS queries.

Currently, pi-Hole uses ASCII text file database to store and search information. It searches line by line and compares all domains in it. If there are many such files, it will go sequentially one by one to find a domain name in these ASCII text files.

Lets say the domain in question is configured in file_5.text. Here, it will go through all the four files, file_1.txt, file_2.txt, file_3.txt, file_4.txt before landing in the file file_5.txt.

With this, it connects to the haddrive five times and loads it into memory.

With my suggestion, if - as in the above example - all files are combined into one, then the SEARCHES PER QUERY would be much faster. By installing such a system, one could enhance it to detect queries coming from a particular host and combine text files based on those mappings.

Any topics opened in the Feature Requests category are already automatically marked for votes, you should see a vote button to the top right of the topic.

1 Like

A combined database for all adlists, blacklists, whitelist is implemented in pihole v5.0 aka gravity.db
https://pi-hole.net/2020/05/10/pi-hole-v5-0-is-here/