Macbook and Android not using pi-hole, although DNS settings say they are

I have set up pi-hole on my raspberry pi OS (raspberry pi 2). As I could not set the DNS in my router, I disabled it's DHCP and used the pi-hole included DHCP. I set the DNS to be the pi-hole server and it does work for most of my devices. However, two of my devices does not seem to use the pi-hole, although they are set up as such (at least, that's what the settings show).

The two devices that are having troubles are:

• Macbook Pro with Mojave (10.14.6) installed. The pi is the only DNS server configured and there is no VPN configured. There is however a DNSMasq instance running on the device that routes .consul and .dev top level domains to my docker instances. All other requests are resolved by the system (which is configured to use the pi).
  • LG G8s with Android version 9 installed. Not much to say here. The network info ii app shows that the DNS is configured to be the pi DNS server. Furtermore, private DNS is disabled and there is no VPN running on the device.

Expected Behaviour:

I expect that the devices use the pi-hole. They seem to do so, but they don't (show up in the interface?)

Actual Behaviour:

The queries are not actually blocked. The pi-hole's IP is 192.168.2.27. I am very, very certain that analytics.google.com is blocked so I used that to test the capabilities of pi-hole:

On my raspberry pi (localhost basically):

pi@Hera:~ $ nslookup analytics.google.com
Server:		192.168.2.27
Address:	192.168.2.27#53

Name:	analytics.google.com
Address: 0.0.0.0
Address: ::

On my macbook:

slMacBook-Pro:~ robbin$ nslookup analytics.google.com

Non-authoritative answer:
analytics.google.com	canonical name = www3.l.google.com.
Name:	www3.l.google.com
Address: 172.217.17.110

This is on piece of metal that runs Linux:

robzombie111@zeus:~$ nslookup analytics.google.com

Address: 0.0.0.0
Address: ::

The Android is not showing up in the interface, so I presume it is also not working. I do not use data savings and do not use Chrome. I disabled DNS over HTTPS in Firefox and use that to browse. It all does not work.

I should also add that I've tried many things on my macbook (which is the most important to get right):

• Disabling DNSMasq on my macbook
  • Flushing cache
  • Restarting the macbook
  • Restarting the router
  • Restarting, repairing en reinstalling pi-hole
  • Disabling the firewall on my router
  • Disabling the firewall on the raspberry pi
  • Overriding the DNS on my mac with scutil and in the network preferences

What's interesting is that going to "http://pi.hole/admin" does work on my linux machines, but does not work on my Android and on my Macbook.

And probably a lot more i've forgotten about.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/9i3xyvr4hy

Use

pihole -q analytics.google.com

to check, however,

is already sufficient to say that your observation is correct: It does not use the Pi-hole.

Why did you configure it all when you use the Pi-hole DHCP server? It automatically advertises itself ad the only DNS server. Try using full DHCP on the Macbook. Or is this just a language thing? You are already using DHCP and the Pi-hole is just the only one showing up under DNS details?

This only makes sense when they do not use the Pi-hole.

What would be interesting is your IPv6 capabilities and whether you have configured something (if: what) in this direction in the router.

Thank you for replying to me so fast. That is really amazing :slight_smile:

Did not knew this; it was indeed on the list, thank you for this tip.

Because it didn't work with DHCP previously, so I tried it this way, but it did not work as well :frowning: I tried to do it automatically through DHCP just a minute ago, but it is still not working unfortunatley.

As far as I know I do not have any ipv6 capabilities yet, (according to the interface in my router anyways, which is a ISP provided router, so it may be sketch...It the experiabox V9 from the Dutch telco KPN)
IPv6: Disabled is in the interface under "gateway".

Is there some thing I can do to check more?

It took me quite some debugging, but I finally found the culprit.

I have two routers in my network. One of them had DHCP and the all disabled. The other had it disabled, but it would not really disable until the router restarted.

Thank you for your help! It is greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Many routers have this, for instance when they are running DD-WRT. There is often a Save and an Apply button. Clicking only the former changes the configuration but not how the device behaves. A restart will re-read the config so will trivially fix this as well.

Your devices should still NOT honor the lease given by the DHCP server if you configure them manually. Might be a bug or UI glitch of your two devices.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.