Losing internet for some devices after a while

I've been using Pi-hole for about a month without any problems. But lately I've noticed some devices on the network lose the ability to connect to the internet after a while, whereas other devices can still access the internet fine.

In Pi-hole I clicked 'Restart DNS', but that didn't do anything. On my iMac, after disabling the Wi-Fi I tried unplugging the ethernet cable, waiting a few seconds and then plugging it back in again. This didn't fix it.
Rebooting the RP3 that's running Pi-hole fixes it for a few hours, but then it happens again.

I have a BT modem (FTTC) connected to an AirPort Extreme, and the AirPort Extreme points to the RP3 that runs Pi-hole.

Is there anything I can do or check to stop this happening?

If there's nothing obvious/easy I could do I thought about enabling 'Pi-hole DHCP Server' in Pi-hole's settings, but not quite sure how to set it up in the AirPort Extreme's settings

In the image below should I leave it pointing to the RP3 for the DNS Server (10.0.1.30)?

And in this image below should I change the 'Router Mode' from 'DHCP and NAT' to 'Off 'Bridge Mode', or leave it as it is?

Debug Token:

xfhaojvcxd

Do you have IPv6 connectivity? http://ipv6-test.com/

When your devices lose internet access, can they ping internal/external IP addresses (only DNS is gone), or do they have no connectivity whatsoever?

You should keep your settings as they are. If you want to use Pi-hole for your DHCP, then follow these instructions for using the Airport Extreme in NAT only mode:

Thanks for the help. I ran the IPv6 test and I don't have connectivity for that, only IPv4.

When the internet fails on one (or more) devices I can still SHH and VNC from/to it, I just can't access the internet from it.

If there's nothing else I can do/try to stop it from losing the internet then I'll try Pi-hole for the DHCP server, thanks for the link :slightly_smiling_face:

Check to see if you can disable IPv6 on your internal network.

Can you ping external IP addresses such as 8.8.8.8 when the network is down?

Try creating a debug token when the internet fails (or upload the generated log if it fails to create one).

1 Like

I disabled IPv6 a couple of days ago in Airport Utility, and so far so good. I haven't lost the Internet connection at all in the last two days, when before this I was losing the Internet connection every few hours :slightly_smiling_face:

If it happens again I'll try and see if I can ping an external IP address.

I added a debug token in my first post, taken when the Internet had failed previously :+1:t3:

Hi! I am having the same problem -- some devices lose internet connectivity while other devices are OK. I've noticed that this happens when some devices are streaming data (videos, music). The best I can do is schedule a cron job to reset the pi daily, but recently it has even happened twice in the same day. Is there any update to this topic?

Define "lose internet connectivity" ?
Cant you ping public IP addresses anymore or maybe DNS resolution breaking ?

ping 8.8.8.8

nslookup pi-hole.net 8.8.8.8

nslookup pi-hole.net <PI_HOLE_IP_ADDRESS>

Maybe should have started a new thread.
Are you sure you've got the same issues as the TS ?
If its a regular Raspberry Pi with one of the supported distributions, it should run fine without the "reset the pi daily".