Long Term Data

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Please ensure that you are running the latest version of the beta code.
Run pihole -up to update to the latest, then verify that the problem still exists before reporting it.

Problem with Beta 5.0:
I am not sure if this is a problem or if it’s by design. Maybe a better error message is required if that’s the case. Under Long Term Data menu, you have three options to search by. Graphics, Query Log, and Top Lists. In Graphics if you choose a time frame longer than your PI has data for. It still displays a chart that just ends sooner based on the data in the database. On the other two options if you perform the same action you get an error “An unknown error occurred with loading the data”. My initial reaction was I should have received that same result as the graphics menu, but again if I am wrong maybe change the error so the end-user understands this is because of a lack of data for the chosen lookup period. The way it is now implies a problem with the system.

Debug Token:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/vity25u79z

I have a 12 hour old fresh install of Pi-Hole 5.0 beta, and here is what I see on these screens (does not match what you see). In each case, I selected “Last 7 days” from the date and time range. So, it is not by design.

Check.

I ran a query from the day before yesterday to some day next week or even the week after. I see no errors.

everyone I ran an update on my pihole and tried again. I am now able to chose any time frame for Graphics and Top Lists. I still get the error on Query log, even though I am choosing 7 days and I have 6 days worth of data. Not sure what is so unique about my configuration.

How long does it take until the message comes up? Maybe you’re simply running out of maximum allowed processing time for the script. Please check /var/log/lighttpd/error.log for any error messages.

Can you please confirm that path. Also the error pops up in less that 5 seconds. Doesn’t feel like a time out.

Path corrected above.

I get this error repeatedly…

(mod_fastcgi.c.2543) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /var/www/$

This is like 128 MB. Either your device doesn’t have enough memory available or (more likely) there is some configuration somewhere on your device that limits the amount of memory PHP can use. When it hits this barrier, PHP is killed and you see the error on your web interface.

Look at

http://php.net/memory_limit

I’m running pihole in an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS server VM I will investigate where I can make this change. Thanks for the feedback.

I had to bump my VM to 4GB of ram, and set PHP to consume up to 2GB. Once I made this change everything started to work. This implies to me that my 1GB ram pi 3B+ won’t be able to run this in the manner I would like from a logging perspective. I wonder if this is a bug or is this the intended operation of the new update to pihole?