Local lookup without DHCP

Setup:

Pi Zero W with pi-hole installation - all defaults till now - on my home network with about 15 devices. DHCP is on my router.

Expected Behaviour:

The pi-hole dashboard shows names for the devices on the home network just like my router.

Actual Behaviour:

IPs are shown instead.

I understand fairly how these things work :slight_smile:. I'm aware of the conditional forwarding feature - doesn't work because my router (tp-link) doesn't offer the device names that it displays on DHCP page over DNS.

I'm also aware of the Local DNS Records feature. Since I have not fixed the IPs on the DHCP server/router, I guess these local records will need updates whenever IPs change.

Question:

Can the pi-hole do a MAC based hostname records? I have disabled randomized MACs on my devices which is more and more common these days. I wouldn't mind scripting a cron job which would periodically update the MAC/IP/hostname map - the IP is the variable here which I guess I can find with an arp lookup. Would appreciate any inputs on which pi-hole data/files should be updated by this cron job.

This only happens if Pi-hole knows (or can find out) the names to match the IP's. The router may know this, but the information doesn't automatically transmit to Pi-hole.

Your best approach is to reserve the IP's for clients in the router, and then map the names to IP in Local DNS records.

Yup! I'm thinking on the lines of what technologies exist today that pi-hole could use to discover names. Until then, I'm thinking of some scripted periodic updates.

On second thoughts, may be yes!

If I still want to try some other method, where are the local DNS records of pi-hole stored?

The native file is /etc/pihole/custom.list.

The web interface provides a UI to access the file, but it can be edited directly as well.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.