/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found

I am running PI-hole in a VM under Truenas 13 - just upgraded from 12 to 13

proceeded to update pihole by logging in. Here is the messages for the execution of the upgrade.

tony@pihole01:~$ pihole -up
  [✓] Update local cache of available packages
  [i] Existing PHP installation detected : PHP version 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.12
  [✓] Checking for git
  [✓] Checking for iproute2
  [✓] Checking for dialog
  [✓] Checking for ca-certificates

[i] Checking for updates...
  [i] Pi-hole Core:     up to date
  [i] Web Interface:    up to date
/usr/bin/pihole-FTL: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/bin/pihole-FTL)
  [i] FTL:              update available

[i] FTL out of date, it will be updated by the installer.

[✓] Root user check
1 Like

Please upload a debug log and post just the token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

1 Like

I am also getting this error about /usr/bin/pihole-FTL: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.28 not found (required by /usr/bin/pihole-FTL) after updating on Ubuntu 18.04. It causes the pihole-FTL service to fail and no DNS resolution.

~$ ldd --version
ldd (Ubuntu GLIBC 2.27-3ubuntu1.6) 2.27

I updated the VM first with recent OS updates.

Debug for the pi-hole setup BEFORE update with error: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/rlhTBXjR/

Thanks for having a look. I can provide more info later tomorrow if needed.

I have the same problem pihole-FTL[7186]: /usr/bin/pihole-FTL: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/bin/pihole-FTL)
after upgrade pihole.

i updated the vm before updating pihole
Debug pihole here: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/sN9EuPnr/

Thx

1 Like

Please run

pihole checkout ftl v5.16.3

to get back to a working version until we have found a permanent solution to this. (edit: see below)

When you see an error like

please

edit We decided that supporting very old operating system releases (where there is at least one stable newer version) can be too much at times. You can run your Pi-hole completely fine pinned to this version until you decide to upgrade the underlying system. At some point you will have to, anyway. I'm sorry to say this but we're a small team and all are volunteers (as in: other jobs pay our daily bread) and it seems better to make such a decision rather than trying to fit in everywhere and possibly not doing it right.

5 Likes

Not possible due to the same issue.

root@server:~# pihole checkout ftl v5.16.3
Please note that changing branches severely alters your Pi-hole subsystems
Features that work on the master branch, may not on a development branch
This feature is NOT supported unless a Pi-hole developer explicitly asks!
Have you read and understood this? [y/N] Y

pihole-FTL: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by pihole-FTL)

Please modify line 171 of /opt/pihole/piholeCheckOut.sh to read oldbranch="$(pihole-FTL -b || echo master)

and run the checkout command again.

2 Likes

Done.It works.
Thank you.

I have an interesting problem. This instance of Pi-hole is running as a VM on a Truenas server. Probably because I am a noob. I can not edit the file because I can not figure out the su pw.

I am also running a backup on a Pi but am not updating that until we know what is happening.

Thank you all for your help.

YFNN (your friendly neighborhood noob)

Thanks for the solution, for the moment I have restored the VM from the backup until the final solution

thanks, I've got 'same' problem on Centos Linux 3.10.0-1160.76.1.el7.centos.plus.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 16 14:59:44 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

running above fixed it, thank you

# pihole checkout ftl v5.16.3
  Please note that changing branches severely alters your Pi-hole subsystems
  Features that work on the master branch, may not on a development branch
  This feature is NOT supported unless a Pi-hole developer explicitly asks!
  Have you read and understood this? [y/N] y

pihole-FTL: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by pihole-FTL)
  [✓] Branch v5.16.3 exists
  [i] Switching to branch: "v5.16.3" from "master"
  [✓] Downloading and Installing FTL
  [✓] Restarting pihole-FTL service...
  [✓] Enabling pihole-FTL service to start on reboot...

now I have it running as follows:

if you need any debug log or anything, pls let me know, thanks

Ran into the same issue.

OS: Linux pi-hole1 4.19.66-v7+ #1253 SMP Thu Aug 15 11:49:46 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

Your debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/N4FrxejD/

I too was able to work around this issue by editing this file:

root@pi-hole1:~ # cat --number /opt/pihole/piholeCheckout.sh | head -180 | tail +170
   170	        path="${2}/${binary}"
   171	        oldbranch="$(pihole-FTL -b || echo master)"
   173	        if check_download_exists "$path"; then
   174	            echo "  ${TICK} Branch ${2} exists"
   175	            echo "${2}" > /etc/pihole/ftlbranch
   176	            chmod 644 /etc/pihole/ftlbranch
   177	            echo -e "  ${INFO} Switching to branch: \"${2}\" from \"${oldbranch}\""
   178	            FTLinstall "${binary}"
   179	            restart_service pihole-FTL
   180	            enable_service pihole-FTL
root@pi-hole1:~ #

Also notice the above mentions of the filename didn't match what I had on my box, my file is called /opt/pihole/piholeCheckout.sh.

The above instructions worked, thank you.

Since we are using a custom FTL now and won't receive notifications of an fixed new version, how/when will we know it's been fixed so we can undo the temp fix?

Thanks

The fix is to update your OS. There won't be a new version of FTL that works.

1 Like

Once we update our OS, what is the command to get back onto the main branch again?

Thanks

pihole checkout master

I upgraded the OS from ubuntu 18.04 to ubuntu 20.04.5 but nothing has changed it keeps giving error

Did you executed an in-place upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 or you did a fresh install of ubuntu 20.04?

I did a full system upgrade, but nothing has changed. I did a clean install of ubuntu 22.04 and at that point I was able to put the new version