Less than 5% of ads blocked NOW

An iPhone likely has cellular service. You can toggle that on/off in the setting on the iPhone. By doing this, you ensure that none of the traffic to the iPhone is going through the cell connection. There is an iPhone setting for WiFi assist (Settings > Cellular > scroll to bottom of that page) where if the WiFi service is weak, then the phone will go out on the cellular connection. The cellular connection is off your network so none of the traffic from the phone through cellular will be filtered by your Pi-Hole.

This screen shot is telling you that Pi-Hole has forwarded the queries to 1.1.1.1 for resolution after checking its blocklist to see if the domain should be blocked. This is a normal indication for Pi-Hole.

Hi Pi Hole community,

I am wondering if you guys know how to run an analysis of what devices are actually querying IPv6. I suspect that's why the percentage block dropped from 44% to a mere, now, 6%.

From the Pi terminal:

grep AAAA /var/log/pihole.log*

Pi-Hole logs AAAA and A queries equally in the dashboard and stats. Whether a connected client makes the request via IPv4 or IIPv6 makes no difference.

Would this mean?

If you see a DNS query in Pi-Hole, it is counted in the statistics. That applies to both A and AAAA. The command I provided will show you all the AAAA queries received by your Pi-Hole in the pihole.logs for today and yesterday. An example from my Pi-Hole:

sudo grep AAAA /var/log/pihole.log*

/var/log/pihole.log:Nov 11 00:03:49 dnsmasq[1045]: query[AAAA] fw-update2.smartthings.com from 192.168.0.110
/var/log/pihole.log:Nov 11 00:07:54 dnsmasq[1045]: query[AAAA] time.apple.com from 192.168.0.1
/var/log/pihole.log:Nov 11 00:07:54 dnsmasq[1045]: query[AAAA] time.apple.com from 192.168.0.1
/var/log/pihole.log:Nov 11 00:09:02 dnsmasq[1045]: query[AAAA] fw-update2.smartthings.com from 192.168.0.110
/var/log/pihole.log:Nov 11 00:11:56 dnsmasq[1045]: query[AAAA] Pi-3B from 127.0.0.1
/var/log/pihole.log:Nov 11 00:14:30 dnsmasq[1045]: query[AAAA] fw-update2.smartthings.com from 192.168.0.110
/var/log/pihole.log:Nov 11 00:19:51 dnsmasq[1045]: query[AAAA] time.apple.com from 192.168.0.101

In the attached screenshot, Safari shows ads while chrome doesn't.
I cleared the cache in Safari thinking that it was a cache issue with the ad. No.

It seems to suggest that Safari has an ability to bypass and it's likely using IPv6???

I don't believe Safari has this ability. I use Safari as my regular daily browser and don't find any setting for this in the preferences.

The URL shown in Safari is showing the g00 domain, which is an ad-serving method run by InStart Logic. They serve the ads from the same domains (or randomly changing subdomains) as the content. In Pi-Hole you can try to block them with one of these regex (I don't recall which one works better):

* .+(g00).+

* (^|\.)g00$

It appears that you may have an extension installed in Chrome that is blocking these ads - perhaps uBlock Origin, uBlock Origin Extra, adBlock, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.