JS problems on Kickstarter?

Wondering if anyone has had trouble with Kickstarter and pihole. I'm not quite sure which holed site is breaking it, but there's some missing JS that means you can't select a pledge in the webapp. (macos, chrome, etc).

As a workaround I use the mobile app. My first guess is that it's siftscience.

Have you tried watching the log for clues?

Just tested Kickstarter on my PiHole using the "ticked" lists from Wally3k (https://v.firebog.net/hosts/lists.php?type=tick). No issues selecting a pledge, went all the way through up to submitting payment (didn't see anything I actually wanted so I couldn't test that) without failure.

In fact, I used uBlock Origin to block all 3rd party content (3rd Party+Scripts+Frames) on kickstarter.com and could still get that far (though they rely on imgix.com for images)...

Thanks Matt. In Dev Tools, what sites do you see being blocked? I have google-analytics, connect.facebook-net, cdn.siftscience-com, chartbeat.

In core...js I have this error showing up on the js console:

Uncaught TypeError: m.easing[this.easing] is not a function

That's what makes me guess it is siftscience, though on second thought that smells like a jquery issue. Hmm. I don't see that being blocked.

It happens right when hovering over a reward, which says 'select this reward'. Clicking does nothing.

Yes Jacob, I've watched the log and the dev console's network loads. That's why I'm asking here- it's a little less clear what is being blackholed that is causing it to fail.

Does disabling Pihole fix the issue (temporarily)? Head over to your pi.hole admin page and hit the disable button and see if the content will load.

Like I said, when I blocked literally everything but *.kickstarter.com through uBlock (this includes all 3rd party js content, etc) the page still loaded fine for me (without the images). Allowing just *.kickstarter.com and *.imgix.com resulted in 100% functioning Kickstarter. Not having any issues on Windows 10/Firefox. I don't have a mac to test with, however.

Edit: Tested with Chrome, same results, can select pledges with all content blocked. Make sure your pihole isn't blocking any kickstarter.com domains.

Hmm. I just specified a non-pihole DNS server and had issues, I have adblock and ublock disabled. I have a couple more things to try to figure out the origin.

Sounds like it's not a pihole issue then. Check and make sure your Java is up-to-date... You may need to simply reinstall Chrome or something.

Do you use adblock and ublock origin? Surely you need only one of those (I'd go with ublock, it's faster and more powerful)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.