Issues with network interface and DB files

The issue I am facing:

• I can't access dashboard via pi.hole/ even though accessing it from http://{ip}/admin works and the DNS ip is set on my current device (and router's DHCP server);
  • pihole -g gives me:

No IP addresses found! Please run 'pihole -r' to reconfigure. (from the log, it kinda looks like it cannot see my network interface, wlan0);

• continuous errors regarding .db files (even though pihole is the owner of those files, and they have the proper rwx permissions):

errors on GUI:

While preparing statement: no such table: domainlist;

Pi-hole IPv4 address: unknown

errors on log:

SQLite3 message: no such table: domain_audit in "SELECT EXISTS(SELECT domain, CASE WHEN substr(domain, 1, 1) = '*' THEN '*' || substr(:input, - length(domain) + 1) ELSE :input END matcher FROM domain_audit WHERE matcher = doma (1)

(pihole works and have been blocking queries, but without access to the db files, it cannot add any filter list to its list)

Details about my system: Running a Ubuntu Touch device, connected to wifi.

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole: Reinstalled, chowned pihole folder to pihole user, reconfigured and gave it another static address.

My debug file containing much more info than what I can give: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/bj6mzzpf2q
Any more info I can give, consider given if asked!

There seems to be another active DNS server on your system, quarrelling with Pi-hole over port 53:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Ports in use
[53] is in use by dnsmasq (https://docs.pi-hole.net/main/prerequisites/#ports)
[53] is in use by pihole-FTL

See if disabling or uninstalling dnsmasq would fix your issue, and report back with a new debug token if it doesn't.

You may have to run pihole -r with Reconfigure after dnsmasq has been dealt with.

It seems it wasn't the issue. Even with dnsmasq killed, and the port being occupied by pihole-FTL, it still fails finding the host's ip address.

[i] Default IPv4 gateway: 192.168.0.1
Pinging 192.168.0.1...
ping: Warning: source address might be selected on device other than .
ping: unknown iface
[✗] Gateway did not respond. (Why is a default gateway important for Pi-hole?)

but gateway IS reachable:

phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ ping 192.168.0.1
PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=3.19 ms

another errors:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Networking
Device "" does not exist.
[✗] No IPv4 address(es) found on the interface.

Error: no such table: vw_gravity
dig: '' is not a legal name (unexpected end of input)
[✗] Failed to resolve via localhost (127.0.0.1)
dig: couldn't get address for '': not found
[✗] Failed to resolve via Pi-hole ()

Well, for what it seems, pihole has a problem accessing .db files and running queries, and cannot get the ip that was given in config, or the network interface. Everything on /etc/pihole is owned by pihole user, not likely a permission issue.

also the log says pihole-ftl daemon is inactive, but is actually running:

phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ sudo service pihole-FTL status
[ ok ] pihole-FTL is running

The admin page works, but almost anything related to db queries fails, including DNS filtering itself. It has no issues working as a DNS server, but filtering and blocking won't work (since it cannot access blacklisted hostnames).

Also, the amount of domains on blacklist on web interface is "-2", and I dunno how that's possible.

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/pmg9xegu73

Is that for a client, or does that mean you are running your Pi-hole under that OS on some smartphone?

Note that while Ubuntu Touch was incepted by Canonical, it is now discontinued and not maintained by them anymore.

I am afraid Pi-hole's list of supported OSs does not mention Ubuntu Touch.
I don't know if Ubuntu Touch would be a close enough relative of Ubuntu to allow Pi-hole's operation, and I don't think that Pi-hole has been tested on Ubuntu Touch, so that it should not be considered as a supported platform.

Your recent debug log shows a database size of zero:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Gravity List and Database
-rw-r--r-- 1 pihole pihole 0 Jun 14 11:27 /etc/pihole/gravity.db

You may try to remove that empty db file and restart Pi-hole:

sudo service pihole-FTL stop
sudo rm /etc/pihole/gravity.db
sudo service pihole-FTL start

However, as Ubuntu Touch is not an explicitly supported OS, that may still fail.

If that turns out to be the case, you may help us to improve the OS detection routine to better identify Ubuntu Touch variants.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.