Issues setting up DHCP and/or DNS

Hi! I just set up a Pi Hole, and I have a TP-Link router.

Anyway, I didn't read the entire thread (almost bed time, brain tired!), I had the same greyed out DHCP settings. I am not exactly sure why it does that, but, I changed the LAN IP address (Network - LAN), and then I could set the primary dns with the Pi Hole's address (and deleted "Use These DNS Servers" under Network - WAN). Seems starting fresh with no clients did it...

Hope that may help...

Hello Vegan, thanks for the Input.

I am currently not at home but I'll take a look tomorrow.

Bucking_horn, sit tight I'll be back to work on this tomorrow. Appreciate the help.

@Bucking_Horn

Sorry for the delay, life got in the way.

So here's the latest:

I contacted TPLink and they said the DCHP will ONLY be editable in Access Point mode, and so I've set it to Access Mode.

Further, I've now setup the router as follows:

NETWORK > LAN Tab

Not sure why my LAN IP is now xxx.xxx.x.62, it changed to this when I disabled the DHCP.

WIRELESS > DHCP > DHCP SETTINGS:

The PiHole pi is currently set to 192.168.1.100.

When I attempt to go to the admin panel either on the Pi directly or headless via my desktop I get the following:

I am unsure what has caused this to occur, but I think it's because I turned off the DHCP?

When running the following command on the pi (# sudo pihole status) I get green checks on both DNS service and blocking enabled. I can no longer access the panel though. I am going to enable DHCP and test.

Looking at the screenshots above and the information provided, is there anything which needs to be altered? Perhaps I have the wrong IP in the wrong spot?

If what you are trying to set up is still the diagram I posted up thread, I'm very confused.

That diagram is for two separate ip networks linked by the TP-Link router.

The green network, managed by the fios router, is a 255 host network, on IP address range 192.168.1.0/24.
Gateway on that network is 192.168.1.1.
The Fios router on that network manages a DHCP scope of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 (start address 192.168.1.2, and address 192.168.1.254 in the Fios terminology).
There is (hopefully) a static lease set up on that router, to reserve a stable address of 192.168.1.165 for the uplink (WAN) side of the TP-Link router.
Broadcast address 192.168.1.255, if anything asks for it.
Any client device attaching to that network, including the WAN port of the TP-Link router, will be allocated an address in the range 192.168.1.X
There is provision for 253 DHCP clients on this network.

The red network, managed by the TP-Link router, is a second 255 host network, on IP range 192.168.0.0/24. (very confusingly similar to the green network)
Gateway on that network is 192.168.0.1 is provided by the TP-Link router.
DHCP scope 192.168.0.20(say) to 192.16.0.200(say), is managed by the TP-Link router.
Broadcast address is 192.168.0.255.

Any client attaching to this network will be allocated an IP address in the range 192.168.0.x

That should include the raspberry pi.....

Ergo your client, and the Raspberry pi, if attached to the red network, should get addresses in that range.

Note that neither of these address ranges will propagate on the internet, they would be dropped by any and every router on the internet at large.

Both the Fios router, and the TP-Link router are acting as NAT gateways.

Any traffic from 192.168.1.x addresses, destined for internet addresses (anywhere but 192.168.1.x addresses), is translated by the Fios router to the upstream address of the Fios router. Note this includes any traffic from the upstream address of the TP-Link router destined for the internet.

Any traffic from the 192.168.0.x addresses destined for "the internet" (anywhere outside the 192.168.0.x IP range) is translated by the TP-Link router to its upstream ip address.

Thus the clients on the green network can talk to the internet via the Fios router and its NAT gateway. However they cannot initiate connections to clients on the red network, because connections via a NAT gateway are a "many to one" translation, and that translation has to be set up from the "many" side. (unless pre-defined reverse translations have been configured into the TP-Link router, usually called pinholes.) Ergo the Raspberry Pi will be unreachable from the green network.

Clients on the red network can reach the internet, via two NAT gateways, and can initiate connections to clients on the green network as well.

Thus all client traffic on either network, when seen by the internet, appears to be from the single upstream "routeable" address of the Fios router, which uses the "ports" on its upstream internet connection to keep track of which traffic is for which of its clients, and passes all traffic that it handles coming from the TP-link router uplink back to the TP-Link router, which in turn uses the "ports" that traffic is directed to to pass traffic back to its red network clients.

Your post above has the pi on an 192.168.1.x address, ergo I'm very puzzled....

Harry

I somehow doubt that answer to be entirely correct - DHCP certainly is also available in Standard mode. At the moment, however, we will take this just as confirmation that DHCP is working in Access Point mode.

@shoka is right in pointing out that your current config is creating something that is not your target network setup.

Currently, your routers seem to be setup in a LAN-to-LAN router cascade (ethernet cable from LAN port on primary FiOS to LAN port on secondary TP-Link).

However, this is not what you are aiming for.

This has put your TP-Link into the same local network address range as your FiOS (i.e. 192.168.1.0/24, or 192.168.1.0 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 equivalently).

TP-Link might have provided you with instructions solely for this config, as it is arguably the most common Access Point setup.

You should setup a LAN-to-WAN router cascade, where a LAN port on the primary FiOS router is connected to the WAN (aka Internet) port on your TP-Link router.
This should allow your TP-Link to create a separate local network address range, independently from your FiOS, e.g. 192.168.0.0/24.
This would match your target configuration, as posted by you initially, and graphed beautifully by @shoka.

To that end, I would recommend to reconfigure your TP-Link.

You may try to do so using roughly these steps

Important: I am not familiar with TP-Links, so read this more as a guideline than an exact procedure.

1. Note down your TP-Links current Static IP from your Network | LAN settings (seems to be 192.168.1.62 as per your screenshot above).
  2. Disconnect the ethernet cable leading to your FiOS router from your TP-Link.
  3. Connect to your TP-Link from your computer
    Log into our TP-Link using the Static IP as noted down before, and preferably through a direct ethernet cable connection.
  4. In Network | LAN
    Set your TP-Link router's desired local address, 192.128.0.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
    I am not sure how to configure the gateway correctly.
    Your TP-Link should use your FiOS, and this should happen automatically in a LAN-to-WAN config, yet there seems to be no auto config option for that.
    Try to leave it blank.
    If that doesn't work, put your FiOS router'S local address in there, i.e. 192.168.1.1.
  5. In DHCP | Address Reservation
    Configure 192.168.0.100 as reserved IP for your Pi-hole.
  6. In DHCP | DHCP settings
    Enable your DHCP server and provide an address range, e.g. 192.168.0.50 to .200, a lease time of 1,440 minutes (= a day) or some other value you deem appropriate, default gateway is 192.168.0.1, primary and secondary DNS is your Pi-hole IP address (as just reserved in step 5.)
  7. Save all your configurations and log off from your TP-Link
  8. Switch off your TP-Link.
  9. Reconnect your FiOS by plugging an ethernet cable into your TP-Link's WAN / Internet port leading to a LAN port on your FiOS
  10. Switch on your TP-Link
  11. Verify your configuration

The weak point is how the gateway under Network | LAN has to be set correctly.
If your TP-Link does not auto-configure that option correctly, we would have to add a route to your FiOS through your TP-Link's settings in order to establish (Internet) connectivity.

As a network engineer, @shoka would be better equipped to provide you with the necessary details, though he likely suffers from the same TP-Link unawareness as me :wink:

EDIT: Also, let us know if your plans for your target network configuration should have changed in the mean time.

I used to have a TP-Link router, a long long time ago. It's long gone to the great router resting place in the sky :slight_smile:

"Professionally" used exclusively Cisco router kit. My personal network is now MikroTik routers, Mikrotik managed switches and TP-Link un-managed switches.

And lots of Raspberry Pi's :).

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.