Issues installing on Ubuntu 16.10 live usb

Hi All.

I ran across pi-hole and it looks very cool. I decided to try it out with an Ubuntu live usb. I cloned the repo and ran sudo bash -x /basic-installer.sh

The last line that shows is

• debconf-apt-progress -- apt-get --yes --no-install-recommends install dhcpcd5

It then flashes up the package installer gui at 100%. That gui is only available for a split second before it goes down and I am back at the prompt with the failed install.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure we are going to be able to install on a LiveCD/USB? We need a static IP address, and updated packages along with persistent storage, and I don't believe you can do any of that in a demo environment like a LiveCD type environment. It's all going to be deleted on the reboot. We'll take a look further, but is there a reason you'd want to install in a temporary setup that will be erased upon reboot?

Hi Dan. Thanks for the quick reply.

Mainly I wanted to demo it before I put more effort into it. I don't want to dedicate a box to it and I don't have a pi yet. If this works out well, that would be next on the list.

Yesterday I had it briefly working. I had thought it was an issue with dhcpcd5 and had found someone who had used "sudo dpkg --configure -a" to repair it. I'm not getting any results with that command tonight. Anyhow, after the repair it did in fact complete the installer and ran.

Interesting, I figured we as the developers were the only ones that spun up systems only for a few minutes to test something. (Thank you Digital Ocean...) But I really wouldn't have thought a LiveUSB would have been able to handle the install, and dhcpcd5 is the package we use to handle static IP addressing. If there was no response from the all configure call, then it may have been at the next step after the package installation that things failed out. Since the install is set -e there may be some edge cases where the installer drops back to shell, but we've tried to find those and code around them.

Thanks for giving us a try out.

i'm not finished with it yet. I ran a ton of commands last night trying to get it to run, so I must have done something else. I'll keep poking at it and see what I can find.

I'm not really sure what I did to get it to work the other night, but I still can't get the liveusb to work.

I also tried a liveusb with persistent storage. Besides being super slow, it failed as well.

At the end of the day it's faster to spin up a VM and simply test it that way.

Going to replicate now. I'm setting up a virtual machine with 16GB of RAM and no hard drive. I guess that come close to what you might have used? I have a 16.04.1 USB-Stick around, so I'll test this version but I don't expect that something changes dramatically.

Doing this gets it working nicely on the Live CD:

sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo apt-get update
curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

You nailed it. I totally forgot I updated my sources when I got it to work. Thanks @DL6ER!