Issue with hulu

Expected Behaviour:

Continuous playback/playing capability of hulu

Actual Behaviour:

All of a sudden I started getting some weird issues with streaming. I'm not sure what's going on but literally in the middle of watching a show on Hulu on one device, I started getting an error that wants me to shut off my device and try again. The issue is happening on all my devices on the network though. I ran the debug to see if I could see anything, and I see there is one issue, but I'm not sure if it is related to my current issue.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/eTCArFo0/

Why do you suspect this is a problem with Pi-hole?

Did you try to disable Pi-hole?
Does the issue still happens or only if Pi-hole is enabled?

Your debug log is normal and shows Pi-hole to be working properly.

I need to do a better test than i did. So far i did testing on my phone on wifi vs over data as opposed to actually turning on/off the pihole.

I thought i had seen some kind of error show up in the logs, but I was struggling to understand. I am open to it being a user error too. It wouldn't be my first. I can keep looking and then come back if you're saying that is what you are saying

I thought i saw an error, but i guess it was a part of something else. I will try and read through the logs more and understand better

And it was after i had updated.

Also i restared the service, cleared cache and i think flushed just as an FYI

Currently, you are guessing the problem happened because you updated Pi-hole.

If you disable Pi-hole and the issue is gone we can be sure the issue is with Pi-hole.
If you disable Pi-hole and the issue keeps happening it's not a Pi-hole issue.

Yes that's the best way of putting it. I haven't made any changes aside from the pihole update. Therefore i looked into the logs and didn't understand them so i posted them here for help.

My next steps:
When i get the chance I will disable the pihole and test if things change when I get home. This will give me the best information as you have stated.

Thank you

You can try to simply disable blocking (no need to turn the whole system off):

pihole disable

or

Use the web interface:

That's a fantastic idea. So i tried it, and hulu started playing through.
Turned the blocker back on and this issue came back up
Hulu error code: p-dev320

Not much information i can get from that

Not to change the subject or get off topic if it is, but another issue I've had is that my wifi devices do not seem to be getting ads blocked. When i look at the queries in the admin logs, I see the devices going through. Now on my lan and wifi devices, they are all getting this issue. Again, if it is off topic and irrelevant, ignore it

Use these tools:

1 Like

Oh okay. I'm not sure how it got added (because I just learned how to blacklist domains manually), but there were two new blacklisted items:

1. ads-a-darwin.hulustream.com
  2. ads-fa-darwin.hulustream.com

If I have both of these blacklisted, I get the error above. If only 1 of the 2 is enabled, it seems to run fine. I'm guessing that if one of the ad fetches fails, it goes for the other?

Anyways. It seems to be me. I'm sad since I don't seem to be able to get out of the ads when using the hulu app on my mobile device (but I'm able to on my brave browser on most of my devices)

thank you for the help

See the comment column from your debug log below:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Domainlist (0/1 = exact white-/blacklist, 2/3 = regex white-/blacklist)
   id     type  enabled  group_ids     domain                                                                                                date_added           date_modified        comment                                           
   -----  ----  -------  ------------  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  -------------------  -------------------  --------------------------------------------------
   2       1          1  0             ads-fa-darwin.hulustream.com                                                                          2022-10-05 04:37:55  2022-10-05 04:37:55  Added from Query Log                              
   3       1          1  0             ads-a-darwin.hulustream.com                                                                           2022-10-05 14:05:46  2022-10-05 14:05:46  Added from Query Log                              

Do you have the ad-free version, or the paid, non-ad version?

@low_rider
Oh that's interesting. What do you mean that those 4 are the only "allowed hulu"? Did you blacklist anything with hulu in the domain but then whitelist those 4? Sorry. networking is not my strong suit, so maybe this is obvious.

I thought I had scrolled over all the way, but I guess not. You're really helping me out understanding these logs a little more!

I just allow those four domains, and that's it. Now, I'm not using it to block ads on hulu, just some extra stuff that seems not required for video streaming.