Is there a way to whitelist "bild.de" effectively?

Hello there,

I live in a shared appartment and like to use pi-hole for the whole network. For my mates I need to unblock ad-heavy German news-site "bild.de". With any adblocking active, you get referred to a page "Why can’t I see bild.de?"
I tried whitelisting these subdomains from the default lists:

bild.de
bild.de.intellitxt.com
computerbild.de.intellitxt.com
agroluftbild.de
c.computerbild.de
kinoprogramm.bild.de
pixel.bild.de
r1.computerbild.de
r2.computerbild.de
rem-track.bild.de
watchever.bild.de

That didn’t work however. "pihole -t" didn’t show me any other domain tough (as far as I can say).

Has anybody an idea what I could try further?

I did the same analysis as you did (looking at the query log and selectively whitelist) and succeeded:

ec-ns.sascdn.com

did the trick for me. If that does not help try two things:

1. Clear your browser cache (Chrome: chrome://net-internals/#dns)
  2. Tell them (by clicking the two buttons) that you have disabled your Adblocker. It will force the ad-blocker test to be done again.

After some hassle with the cache, I got it up and running. The url you found is the key! Thank you so much for your help, great work!

Hi Guys,

Is it possible that the link changed? I whitelisted the url, flushed dns from computer and device running PI-hole & i removed all my cookies... However Bild.de is still detecting pi-hole. Any suggestions?

Could you confirm that the proposed solution still works for you?

Thanks!

J

Hi J,

I’m sorry my pi is serving a different project at the moment, so I can’t test the settings right now on my side; I guess searching the query log for addresses is your best bet still–the domain in question didn’t look at all connected to "bild.de" back then, so you probably have to go through them all sadly.

Best
mincefriend

Don't know if this is still an open question but I had the same "problem"...depending on the fact if bild.de is a news side worse visiting :wink:
I got access by whitelisting the following URLs:

a.visualrevenue.com
atsfi.de
bild.ivwbox.de
cdn1.smartadserver.com
hosts-file.net
pixel.bild.de
r.refinedads.com

Have fun reading trustfull news :wink:

From today (5th octobre 2017) the lists mentioned above didn't work anymore for me. I've whitelisted also

acdn.adnxs.com
script.ioam.de
de.ioam.de

I don't know If the old lists are still necessary or If they just swapped their script to track down adblockers to these new urls.

1 Like

acdn.adnxs.com was the right one as the JavaScript File https://acdn.adnxs.com/as/1d/extensions/verify.js checks weather an adblocker is enabled or not

As of today (15 January 2018), the above mentioned link does not seem to work any more. Has anybody found out what address to whitelist?

Hi Guys,

Took me some time to fix this problem. Had some hardware issues...
But now I'm effectively blocking bild.de ads and still being able to browse the website.

I had to whitelist:

Please let me know if this works for you.

Best regards,

J

Hi,

normally there should be no problem using bild.de when running pi-hole.
Funny enough when calling bild.de you will be redirected to the "Why can't I see bilde.de" page.
There's a very simple way around that without whitelisting any pages...
First of all: I do not know why this solution works. I am myself working in the IT business (Senior test engineer) but maybe one of the pi-hole developers can answer this problem...
But now for the solution:

1. open bild.de: You will be presented with the bild.de blocking page...
  2. now disable pi-hole for let's say 30 seconds
  3. now open bild.de again within the time-period of pi-hole being disabled. this will work, of course :wink:
  4. after the expiration of the given time period open bild.de again and you will see that...
  5. ...bild.de will never be blocked again!

This worked for me using
a) Firefox (60.0.1 / 64bit / Win 10 Pro 1803 build 17134.81)
b) Firefox (version ? / 32bit / Android 6)
c) Chrome (66.0.3359.181 / 64bit / Win 10 Pro 1803 build 17134.81)
d) Chrome (66.0.3359.158 / 32bit / Android 6)
Regards
deomaki

This is most likely because the browser cached the DNS result of the domain, and the DNS result you get from the Pi-hole is configured to be cached for only a short amount of time (to ease the enabling/disabling experience).

1 Like

Hi Deomaki,

I think like Mcat12 said that this is happening because of caches. Could you remove cookies and caches followed by reloading the page? Is your workaround still working?

From my experience you currently need to white list:

acdn.adnxs.com
cdn1.smartadserver.com

Regards,

J

Situation changed. currently I have to whitelist following URL's to browse bild.de

www.asadcdn.com
acdn.adnxs.com
cdn1.smartadserver.com

Is this topic still alive? :-p
seems like the blocker changed once more.
Anyone with an updated url list?