IPv6 DHCPv6 with a fritxbox (German Fritzbox - English speaker)

Hi everyone, I've been banging my head against the table for a while on this. My ISP only has IPv6. If I log into my modem it just has a public IPv6 address and for IPv4 it is DS-lite-tunnel. I want DHCPv6 to run on the pihole as well, if possible. The modem I have is a Fritzbox and I'm super confused on how exactly to configure it for the DHCPv6 / DNSv6. So any advice from someone with experience from a Fritzbox would be great (or maybe someone just smarter than me). I've set it to have an ULA fd00::/64 prefix and set my pihole to a static address of fd00::2/64.

Here's where my confusion starts: I have "DNSv6 Server Advertisement via Router Advertisement (RFC 5006)' activated and pointed to the pihole fd00::2/64 address, I'm pretty sure that's correct but I'm not confident.

The next setting I'm really not sure about. I have the option to choose between:

• Enable DHCPv6 server in the FRITZ! Box for the home network
  • Disable DHCPv6 server in the FRITZ! Box

Which I have the disable option chosen then I have various things that I have to choose and I'm really not sure about. There are:

• There are no other DHCPv6 servers in the home network.

Devices in the home network should use their auto-configuration (SLAAC) to determine their own IPv6 address.

• Activate the O flag in the Router Advertisement messages of the FRITZ! Box

Devices in the home network are to receive all non-IP address information (e.g., DNS servers) from another home DHCPv6 server.

• Activate the M- and O-flags in the router Advertisement messages of the FRITZ! Box (SLAAC possible)

Devices in the home network can obtain their IPv6 address from another DHCPv6 server in the home network. In addition, they may provide other relevant information, such as Obtain DNS server from this DHCPv6 server. Devices that do not support DHCPv6 can use Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC).

• Activate the M- and O-flags in the router Advertisement messages of the FRITZ! Box (SLAAC not possible).

Devices in the home network can obtain their IPv6 address from another DHCPv6 server in the home network. In addition, they may provide other relevant information, such as Obtain DNS server from this DHCPv6 server. SLAAC is not supported in this mode.

I currently have the M- O-flags (SLAAC possible) option selected. I don't think things are working correctly, because all of my devices have a lot of IPv6 addresses. I expected to see a link-local, ULA, and public. but each device has multiple ULA and multiple public. Seems that I'm still getting IPv6 addressing assignments from the ISP instead of from the pihole. I'm experiencing some slow loading as well, which I've read can be caused by the IPv6 not being configured correctly. Should I change any of these settings at all?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.