IP configuration

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

[Running " pihole reconfigure" should allow me to reset my networking configuration to a new network schema.]

Actual Behaviour:

[It is allowing me to change the configuration as expected, but the pihole is not seen in my router's host/IP table and when I run "sudo hostname --ip-address" it returns my OLD IP address.]

Debug Token:

_[I tried this. the log is created, but I get this error at the end:

"[✗] There was an error uploading your debug log.

• Please try again or contact the Pi-hole team for assistance.
  • A local copy of the debug log can be found at: /var/log/pihole_debug.log"

I also cannot update my installation. If I manually edit the "/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf
" file It will now correctly show the IP assigned, but no other behaviors are fixed. Still can't update. Still can't get to the net etc.

Is there a way to just completely blow out the network config that is more thorough than "pihole reconfigure"?]_

The static lease for the Pi should be contained in file /etc/dhcpcd.conf

That is where you should change the static IP to match the new network configuration, then reboot the Pi. After that, run pihole -r (reconfigure) to set up Pi-hole on the new IP and interface.

Thank you!

This is the only documentation I could find on this:

https://docs.pi-hole.net/main/prerequesites/#ip-addressing

Is there some other place that I can find out how this works? I am a novice and did have redundant piholes up and running for a year or so before this came up, but it's been a mess since I changed my network.

Here's what I see at the end of that file:

# fallback to static profile on eth0
#interface eth0
#fallback static_eth0
interface wlan0
        static ip_address=192.168.2.230/24
        static routers=192.168.2.1
        static domain_name_servers=127.0.0.1
interface wlan0
        static ip_address=192.168.3.4
        static routers=192.168.3.1
interface eth0
        static ip_address=192.168.3.178/24
interface eth0
        static ip_address=192.168.3.4/24
interface eth0
        static ip_address=192.168.1.3/24
        static routers=192.168.1.1
interface eth0
        static ip_address=192.168.1.2/24
        static routers=192.168.1.1

What that seems like to me is it creates a new entry for eth0 every time I tried to reconfigure it. Should I wipe out all these entries but one and use that?

Secondary (since I run redundant piholes) Is it possible to allow for both eth0 and wlan0 to be active "just in case"?

Thanks for the help!

Commonly, you'd have only one entry for each interface on your device (unless you explicitly chose to have mutiple IP addresses for the same interface).

So likely yes, you should shorten the file to just two entries, for wlan0 and eth0.
Just be careful to leave the right ones standing.

The number of interfaces isn't directly associated with redundancy as offered by another Pi-hole machine.

But yes, you can configure two interfaces on a device, no problem (in fact, that's true for any number of network interfaces on your device).

With multiple interfaces, you'd have to be careful which interface you pick for Pi-hole to listen on during (re)configuration, or to opt for Listen on all interfaces on Pi-hole's Settings | DNS pane.

Thanks. In hindsight, the redundancy I'm looking for is about hardware failure, not interface failure. That being said, having two separate Pi-Holes (two physical Pi's) is probably the solution I need and what I already had in place. The ability for either Pi to use both interfaces is likely not important although I do have it set to use "any" interface.

The unclear part for me is that my current Router/DHCP (Asus RT-AC68U) server only has the ability to enter a single DNS server address to distribute, which means having a backup pi-hole doesn't do much good if the primary fails.. I am still digging into this as it may allow for multiple, comma-separated IP's or similar. I am really trying to move my DHCP duties to the pi-hole, but I want to make sure I have a firm grasp on how this all works.

Clients should be configured with only one DNS server assigned (the Pi-hole IP address) or else ads will still leak through:

Do mind that stock Asus firmware dont play nice with Pi-hole:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.