Internet not working on mobile device, working on PC, not blocking ads

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

[Blocked ads, working internet]

Actual Behaviour:

[Not blocking ads, broke wireless internet]

Debug Token:

[https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/1bvsjp3sv1]

[ A screenshot of my router's config is here https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/450166385524473868/565074386634276866/chrome_C7NgJQHMRE.png ]

Do you have install VPN on your raspberry ?
What is the IP of your device ?

No, there is no VPN on the Raspberry, the IP of my device is 10.0.0.7

Hmm, this debug log is missing from the server... could you try running pihole -d again please?

Here, try this: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/29g26v1f8i

Got it, are you copy pasting or writing it out manually? It appears (judging on upload time) that the token you just uploaded was actually 29g26vlf8i (note l not 1 :slight_smile: )

One sec.. I'll take a look

Ah, sorry! I was typing it out, I'm on my PC replying to you while my Raspberry Pi is next to me and I'm just looking at the screen

OK, nothing unusual in those logs. Blocking appears to be working normally:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv4) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✓] 061606084448.c.mystat-in.net is 0.0.0.0 via localhost (127.0.0.1)
[✓] 061606084448.c.mystat-in.net is 0.0.0.0 via Pi-hole (10.0.0.7)
[✓] doubleclick.com is 216.58.192.238 via a remote, public DNS server (8.8.8.8)

Are you clients actually pointed at it for DNS? What operating systems are you using? e.g On Windows use the command ipconfig /all | findstr "DNS\ Servers"

On linux/MacOs use nslookup google.com, and you'll be able to see the server in the response:

The info I can give you as of right now is that I set my router up to use 10.0.0.7 (My Raspberry) as it's only DNS server, however, this caused my wireless Android to not have access to the internet (It said no internet on the connection), all though my PC (Windows 10) had access to the internet, it wouldn't block ads, but would show up in the Raspberry's query logs. It's worth noting that I only used the router DNS, not my device's DNS, the reason I got Pihole was so I could use it with my router, so I mainly want to get it set up on my router, not individual devices if possible.

You mean that you want the router to be handing out the DNS server of the Pi to your clients, right? That is more than possible!

Judging by your screenshot from the router settings, I think you may have put it into the wrong place. What model/software is your router running? You need to set the Pi-hole IP in the LAN DNS/DHCP settings, not for WAN.

If your router does not allow you to configure the DNS server for LAN clients, then you will need to disable LAN DHCP on your router, and enable it on the Pi-hole device

Keep in mind that your network can only have one DHCP server active, so you need to ensure that the router's DHCP is disabled before you enable the Pi-hole built-in DHCP Server

Is this the issue?

The as you can see, it has "Use Router as DHCP Server" checked, do I disable that? This is the LAN setup, by the way. And my router is a very old Netgear Router, model can be seen in the screenshot.

Ah yeah, as I feared, looks like you do not have much control over the DHCP server built into the router.

So as per my last post, disable the DHCP server there, and then enable the DHCP server on the Pihole device via http://10.0.0.7/admin/settings.php?tab=piholedhcp

You'll need to release/renew on your client devices so that you get the new settings from your new Pi-hole DHCP server. Once you've confirmed it is working, you can use the Pi-hole interface to set static IPs/hostnames for your devices if you wish.

So this is a dumb question but, how does this leasing stuff work? I'm new to Pihole, so I don't know much of what I'm doing at this point. My DHCP settings are like this:

And am I supposed to change the DNS on the router to 10.0.0.7, and if so, where is that? I originally put it in the normal DNS settings (The section is literally just called "Basic settings")

So now what you should have is Pi-hole advertising it's services as a DHCP server. When a client joins the network, the process roughly goes:

Client: "Hey, I am [device name], who can give me an IP address please?"
Pi-hole: "Hi there! I can give you an IP address, you should identify as 10.0.0.2, the router is located at 10.0.0.1, and you should use 10.0.0.7 for performing DNS lookups"

Where you added the DNS on the router, you were telling the router to do it's DNS lookups via Pi-hole, which is fine, but I'm not sure what it was handing out to clients, (presumably not 10.0.0.7, as you were unable to resolve addresses)

This logically would be correct, right? I have access to the internet on all devices, but no adblocking. What am I doing wrong? Sorry for stupid questions, again.

On your PC, what is the ouput of ipconfig /all | findstr "DNS\ Servers" (Assuming windows)

Also if you could run another pihole -d now that you have made the config changes please

Sorry for late reply, I've had a busy week, but anyway, the DNS output is odd and they are Mac addresses, not IPv4 or IPv6.
I will post the full addresses if it's needed. The debug token is:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/nlcvhw2cwe
UPDATE: Good news and bad news, the good news is, everything is passing through to my Raspberry and I can see all traffic coming through all my devices connected, the bad news is, ads aren't blocking, my router is unable to determine the devices names (Which is probably expected to happen and I'm okay with that mostly), and finally, the internal IPs are incredibly high for no reason (Instead of assigning addresses like 10.0.0.24, etc, it assigns addresses like 10.0.0.155 and 10.0.0.127)

They're actually ULA IPv6 addresses:

There is actually a sane reason for this, but my google-fu is failing me this morning! I can't remember who explained it to me before maybe @DL6ER or @DanSchaper.

According to your debug log, ad blocking is working, at least on the Pi itself. So the next thing to check would be to make sure nothing else on your network is providing DNS for your PC. Is your ISP IPv6 enabled? You can test with this website http://ipv6-test.com/

It's been a while since I had an IPv6 network set up, but hopefully @DL6ER will be able to assist in this area...

I checked the IPv6 thing and no, IPv6 is not enabled, there is a section for IPv6 in my router as seen here

If I'm not mistaken, Pi-Hole gave me a warning after I installed it that it failed to set up IPv6 or something like that, I don't remember what it said anymore though

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.