Install PiHole on an existing server

Hi,

I would like to understand if the PiHole install script is disruptive to an existing setup? Specifically I have a RaspPi with Ubuntu Server 22.04., which I use for 3 purposes:

• Nextcloud server
  • File server
  • DLNA server

Basically A LAMP stack with miniDLNA and samba running.

As I use it just for the family at home that Pi is not even close to be maxed out, which is why I thought about adding the Pi-Hole to it.

As an alternative there is a second RasPi also running Ubuntu Server 22.04 which monitors my PV system. Basically a LAMP (or part of it) as well with some SW specific to the PV system, which doesn´t do anything else than logging data from my converter and making them available via a webpage.

The second one is not fully configured and running yet, so I'm quite flexible with it, but it has the downside of not being connected via LAN like the other one. Instead it is attached via power-LAN, which is ok, but not as stable and fast as LAN.

Any concerns installing the PiHole to either of them with the script in addition to what's running already?

As long as you have no port conflicts, you should be fine.

It's easy enough to install Pi-hole on this Pi and see if you have problems. If you do, you can uninstall Pi-hole very easily.

1 Like

Sounds good! Thanks for the quick reply.

I was less concerned about the computing power, but more about conflicts as both servers also run an Apache server, which I would like to avoid downtime (even if it is just used within the family).

You could also try the docker install using macvlan network mode.

Macvlan runs the container with its own IP, then you don't need to worry about port conflicts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.