If you dont know what devuan is, please dont waste your or possibly my time through questions later, just go somewhere else.
Just so you know I am actually covering two topics here, install Devuan Beowulf on Pi Zero W, why because I have some additional customizations to do. Here is the brief step by step
- download devuan ascii armel image
- write to an sd card and boot pi zero w
- install WiFi drivers by copying files from RPi-Distro github, both brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin and its .txt to /lib/firmware/brcm/ folder
- connect to internet wifi using direct or wpa_supplicant
- update devuan ascii, then modify sources.list to beowulf, then update and dist-upgrade
- install pihole 5.1 using curl, it will fail at OS check, just do as it says to skip OS check and rerun curl
- again install fails at FTL not found, and service wont start
- pihole web admin page is available but it shows pihole-FTL service not running. this is atleast to where your install should have reached.
- Compile FTL from source exactly as described at https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/compile/
- and Done !!!
this took me tens of hours to get through searching through google results and finally trying this last option to compile. It works very nicely and I still need to expand the original 2GB partition created during writing image to SD card.