Install failed during initial setup

The issue I am facing:

Basic-install.sh does not successfully complete installation.

Details about my system:
Rpi 3 rev B. 8GB SD card. Only power and Ethernet connected. Remote connecting via VNC.

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
Haven't gotten it installed yet.

I would run the following commands at the OS level to install the 409 updates that are pending:

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

Then run the verbose installer script. If that fails, then we know exactly where it fails. If there is a failure on that install, please post about ten lines leading up to the final line of the output.

curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | sudo bash -x

1 Like

I attempted update & upgrade. Then ran the curl command. There was no output at all. I removed the bash, to see what curl was attempting to do and received a "segmentation fault"

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | sudo bash -x
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net
Segmentation fault

I then ran the upgrade command again and see an error. This is attempting to upgrade to buster.

dpkg-deb: error: '/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-SYZDl2/07-libfreetype6-dev_2.9.1-3+deb10u1_armhf.deb' is not a debian format archive
dpkg: error processing archive /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-SYZDl2/07-libfreetype6-dev_2.9.1-3+deb10u1_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
Preparing to unpack .../08-libpng16-16_1.6.36-6_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libpng16-16:armhf (1.6.36-6) over (1.6.28-1+deb9u1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../09-libfreetype6_2.9.1-3+deb10u1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libfreetype6:armhf (2.9.1-3+deb10u1) over (2.6-2rpi1rpi1g) ...
Preparing to unpack .../10-libuuid1_2.33.1-0.1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libuuid1:armhf (2.33.1-0.1) over (2.29.2-1+deb9u1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-SYZDl2/07-libfreetype6-dev_2.9.1-3+deb10u1_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I'll try to reinstall the package (07-libfreetype6-dev_2.9.1-3+deb10u1_armhf.deb) and will update back here shortly. Thanks!

The Pi-hole installer won't continue until the apt update process completes normally.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I think my whole OS is messed up now. Every command is giving a "segmentation fault". I'll try to fix this issue and then re-run the installer.

Just for reference...

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# dpkg -i libfreetype6-dev_2.9.1-3+deb10u1_armhf.deb
Segmentation fault
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# ls
Segmentation fault
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# reboot
Segmentation fault
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# exit
exit
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls
Segmentation fault
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

womp womp

I think it's time for a complete reflash of the OS and reinstall of Pi-hole.

If you have a spare SD card around, use that to eliminate the possibility of faults in the card you are using.

1 Like

It seems that the issue was the OS, somehow. I used a different SD card and installed pi from scratch on that new card. The installer went through with no issue on that OS. Thanks for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.