Inconsistent blocking

Token: nyb3iqoihh
Equipment: Pi3, router Asus RT-N56U, connected via ethernet.

The Pi-hole worked great for the first couple of days. Starting yesterday, it would go for a long period of time during which it would not block at all. Logs were not updated, and the dashboard graphs would show a flat line for the hours during which we had no function. Rebooting the Pi sometime restores functions, sometimes does not.

I've got other services running on the Pi. Apple File Sharing, Samba, and DLNA. The other services seem to be working ok.

Any ideas? Thank you very much.

Henry

Are you using the Asus router for DHCP ?
If so, check if Pi-hole is the only DNS server configured on the clients with below one for Windows clients:

ipconfig /all

And below one on Linux clients:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

I own an Asus RT-N66U and I cant use the Asus DHCP service as it will always push its own IP address as a DNS server to the clients regardless what I enter on the LAN-->DHCP server settings page.

HI, and thanks for your reply. I am indeed using an Asus router, the RT-N56U, and after running cat /etc/resolv.conf I find only one name server, and that is the Pi. Things were getting really strange, the dashboard was updating intermittently I couldn't find a resolution, so I decided to update to Rasbian stretch and a new install of Pi-hole. It works perfectly now, so I guess my former problem will remain a mystery. I am planning on updating the router as it is periodically locking up under heavy sustained LAN loads. Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.