Ignorance is Bliss

Folks,

We take a lot for granted with computers and so much goes on in the background that we don't understand. One enters a known address like bt.com and numerous other addresses appear on the Query Log. Some pi-holed and others forwarded.

If there are some obscure addresses I do not recognise is there any potential problem if I 'blacklist' them?

Geffers

It depends. For example youtube.com has a sub domain s.youtube.com if you blacklist this domains, youtube watch history will not be recorded.

Most websites will request resources from other domains when they're loading. That's a normal part of loading a webpage, and blocking many of them will result in a dysfunctional site. You can always try blacklisting some and only keeping the ones that cause the site to stop working correctly.

1 Like

This is true, and we have a blog post that provides several real-life examples of what people have discovered using their Pi-hole.[quote="Geffers, post:1, topic:3114"]
is there any potential problem if I 'blacklist' them?
[/quote]

I concur with the others that its really down to some experimentation on your end to see if it breaks a Website or not.

1 Like