I can confirm it's working on new Pi Zero W

Installation is seamless. Up and working in 20 minutes. Will do some test and benchmark (will post here to keep you updated) to replace my PiHole install on Raspberry Pi 3. If speed is ok I can recover that one as a "full computer" and use the Zero as my new Ad Blocking device.

4 Likes

I can confirm its speed is on par with Raspberry Pi3's. I swapped it at once. It's running at 27% memory, 20% cpu usage, 42°C temp and managed already 33850 queries today without a glitch.

Must admit I'm impressed by PiHole speed and lightness, even on something "low powered" like the Pi Zero W.

It's fast even if it's currently managing DNS queries on WiFi connection (will have a little less latency when my ethernet-to-micro-usb adapter will arrive. Latency is very important when you are talking about a large number of little packets, like DNS queries)

I recovered the faster Raspberry Pi3 for using as a full purpose "PC" and media center.

Before it was running PiHole, Tor, an anonymizer wireless ad-hoc connection routed through Tor and a local caching proxy server as browsing accelerator.

1 Like

Is that a sane number in your environment? I do reach this numbers only with more than 10 clients.

It's a "sane" number if you have a Micro-sigh-soft device constantly pinging home (it's almost fanatical in calling dns.msftncsi.com, check this to disable: http://www.trishtech.com/2015/07/disable-active-internet-probing-ncsi-in-windows/), some dropbox sync, a Lima device and a bunch of iCloud connected devices (iPads, Macs, iPhones). It's incredible how much "hidden" traffic those "smart devices" creates over a day.

Anyway I let a benchmark running to see if the Pi was capable of holding a big number of queries. It seems to work flawlessly!

:slight_smile:

Okay, I neither use any of the mentioned devices or services :slight_smile:

Anyway Windows 10 alone made 31000 calls to dns.msftncsi.com to check if internet is up. One every 2 seconds. A lot of traffic. If you have one installed disable 'active online status checking'. It's junk.

Btw: cool avatar!

That s true tho
The "avatar" makes the true difference😍 So nice