How to show client name instead of IPv6 address?

The issue I am facing:
Since enabling IPv6, I get their long address appearing but I would like to have the client name as it is working for IPv4.

Details about my system:
RPi 3 B+, unbound, wireguard

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
Enabled IPv6 by my ISP and in my router.
Added IPv6 pihole address to setupVars.conf

This is a common misunderstanding that has often been discussed in this forum, see e.g. Client name for IPv6 addresses is sometimes resolved by upstream DNS server?

Those names in your Top Clients lists are valid generic hostnames, not IPv6 addresses.

Your ISP DNS server assigns them to your public IPv6 addresses (range 2000::/3).

Even if I'm not using my ISP's DNS?
I mean, if I use Pihole as my DNS with Unbound as a recursive server, how does my ISP is a "client" in that list?

going to read your link.

Yes, this is how DNS works.

In your case, they even would be queried directly by your recursive unbound instance, but you do not have to use the Australian government's or Wikipedia's DNS server as your upstream to resolve www.gov.au or www.wikipedia.org. Somewhere in the DNS resolution chain, those authorative name severs will have been queried for DNS records, regardless how you've requested resolution.

And your ISP's DNS server is authorative for the IP addresses it owns.

It's the same for IPv4, but where it's only your router having a public IPv4 address, all your IPv6 capable network devices are able to construct a public IPv6 address for themselves.

Understood.
Well, I decided to disable IPv6. It's been disabled from my router and I removed the pihole IPv6 address from setupVars.conf and I also removed the router's IPv6 address from dhcpcd.conf.
I flushed DNS and rebooted the router and RPi.

When I issue pihole -d I can still see there's an IPv6 bound to eth0.

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/lt1fdtzakc

[✓] IPv6 address(es) bound to the eth0 interface:
   fe80::c5ab:3326:1085:e247 does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf (https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/use-ipv6-ula-addresses-for-pi-hole/2127)

^ Please note that you may have more than one IP address listed.
   As long as one of them is green, and it matches what is in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf, there is no need for concern.

The link to the FAQ is for an issue that sometimes occurs when the IPv6 address changes, which is why we check for it.

[i] Default IPv4 gateway: 192.168.1.1

Where else in the RPi there's a reference to IPv6?

In general, you shouldn't manually alter setupVars.conf.
Instead, use pihole -r with Reconfigure.

It's normal for an IPv6 capable client to at least configure a link-local address (from fe80::/10 range) for itself, so that's OK.

You can list all IPv6 addresses assigned to your Pi-hole device by running

ip -6 address

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.