How to remove unwanted clients

Hi everybody

I have a question to ask.

I have my Pi Hole on my VPS server, everything works perfectly, but randomly I have addresses that appear in the list of customers.

Screenshot_1

The problem is that I do not know how to remove unwanted clients.

Have you ever encountered this problem?

From my understanding that information is in the database. You could always write a query to drop those records, but in my case I when I see these I know there are clients that don't have IP addresses that resolve to hosts and thus the addreses only.

I know it is possible to delete clients from the database but I want to prevent the connection of unwanted clients who come to use my DNS system without authorization.

Currently I am obliged to ban the IP of my VPS server but in the meantime they use my services, I would like to allow some IP address to use my DNS service.

Do not run an unprotected DNS server with port 53 open to the entire world. You will be targeted for abuse and will be used in DNS attacks. Please allow only your clients to connect, either via firewall rules or via VPN from client to server.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/overview/

Thank you for your comeback !

If I understand correctly I just have to block via IPTABLES rules all Internet addresses wishing this connected on the DNS port use?

And whitelist the ip of my authorized clients

Or can we change the DNS port use by Pi-Hole?

Most clients can not change the port they use the query the server.

You will need to block all access to port 53 execpt for the clients you wish to allow access from. How you do that is pretty much up to you, but IPTables is a good place to start if your clients all have static IP addresses that you know of in advance and can allow through the IPTables block. If they are dynamic addressed then you'd need to do something along the lines of the VPN solution.

Thank you very much for this information.
This solution corresponds to my needs, my clients have a fixed ip

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.