How to give IPv6 a Name

Hi all!

I hope somebody has an Idea how to solve this. I could not find any helpful other threads in here yet.

Technical Details:
- Latest Pihole
- default installation on Ubuntu Core
- IPv6 enabled and working
- pihole is doing the DNS + DHCP

I'm talking about the table "top clients" and "top blocked clients" in bottom of the dashoard:

Some devices which are using IPv6 are only displayed with a very long cryptic name here.
I marked them with a red arrow in the screenshot.
I say some, because with a very few devices, it displays the real name (example: a windows client. In the screenshot this is DESKTOP-DCRR1E1.local, which is using an IPv6 Address too.)

So my question here is: is there any way to display the (or any) device Name here, instead of this cryptic name?

Thanks & Regards,

V.

You are observing the correct public DNS name for a host's public IPv6 address, as provided by the public DNS server of your ISP that is managing the respective IPv6 address space.

This has been asked and explained on various occasions, e.g. Client name for IPv6 addresses is sometimes resolved by upstream DNS server? - #2 by Bucking_Horn or Reverse DNS lookups of client's IPs - #6 by Bucking_Horn

1 Like

Hi & thanks for showing me some threads wichs are handling theese "issue" allready.
Maybe I was just using the wrong search strings and thats why I didn't find them.

To be honest, I do not understand much of theese. So what is the final message?
Is the conclusion that it's simply working as expected and there is no (simple & easy) way to assign the devices a real name?

Thanks a lot &

V.

You are observing the correct public DNS name for a host's public IPv6 address, as provided by the public DNS server of your ISP that is managing the respective IPv6 address space.

Due to the design of IPv6, it wouldn't be feasible to provide local overwrites for public IPv6 addresses (GUAs), as both your network's IPv6 prefix and your client's interface identifiers are subject to change regularly and often (e.g. as often as once every two hours).

You may try to coerce your clients into avoiding your Pi-hole host's IPv6, or preferring IPv4 over IPv6, or stable varieties of IPv6 addresses over GUAs. The posts I've linked detail a few of them.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.