How to block Google ads (including YouTube ads)

The issue I am facing:
yesterday i got myself a new raspberry pi and wanted to run a pi hole on it. So now the thing is I have already ~3.000.000 domains on Adlists and it still comes advertising (mainly this advertising from Google) and on Youtube also comes advertising. Someone from my friends circle had said that there is a certain upstream DNS server that stops this. And if you ask yes I have entered the IP of the Raspberry Pi in my router in the DNS entry. Would be suuper if you could help me further.
Details about my system:
Domains on Adlists: 3.076.777
DNS Upstream Server: OpenDNS
What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
I just added the adlists and tested out all the dns upstream servers and added a few blocked domains that's all I did.

First of all I believe you have added too many domains on adlist.
Also yt ads are not blocked by pihole.
For google ads you can add some regex on blacklist:
(\.|^)googleadservices\.net$
(\.|^)googleads\.g\.doubleclick\.net$
(\.|^)googleadservices\.com$

1 Like

Pi-hole AdLists are used to filter domains. If you use a upstream DNS server that also filters domains, there is no need for a Pi-hole server. Just configure your devices to use the filtered DNS server. You can blacklist the following or create or use a existing AdList in Pi-hole with the following entries:

|127.0.0.1|www.googleadservices.com|
|127.0.0.1|www.google-analytics.com|
|127.0.0.1|www.googletagmanager.com|
|127.0.0.1|www.googletagservices.com|
|127.0.0.1|ad.doubleclick.net|
|127.0.0.1|ade.googlesyndication.com|
|127.0.0.1|adservice.google.com|
|127.0.0.1|googleads.g.doubleclick.net|
|127.0.0.1|pagead2.googlesyndication.com|
|127.0.0.1|googleads.g.doubleclick.net|
|127.0.0.1|ade.googlesyndication.com|
|127.0.0.1|4735610.fls.doubleclick.net|
|127.0.0.1|8114842.fls.doubleclick.net|
|127.0.0.1|securepubads.g.doubleclick.net|
|127.0.0.1|pubads.g.doubleclick.net|
|127.0.0.1|cm.g.doubleclick.net|
|127.0.0.1|bid.g.doubleclick.net|

1 Like

This is not possible with Pi-hole. Please search the forum, this has been discussed numerous times.

How is it possible?

IOW:
Pi-Hole cannot do it (no slight to Pi-Hole) but there are ways to block YT ads...

Someone asked me today who hated it when I provided the answer; more than once...

Why is there not a default FAQ about how to block YT ads?

Asking for a friend.

You can only block on an URL level, not on a domain level. Therefore you need a brower/browser plugin which can do it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.