How do I revert to a previous version of Pi-hole?

Would this still be the correct way to revert to a previous version? I have trouble when I try to do the ftl checkout. It never actually finishes anything.

Also how would I know the correct FTL version to get?

Reverting to a previous version in general is not supported. It can work out, but as all components might depend on each other checking out only a single old component might break your Pi-hole.

If you experience an issue, please open a new thread.

Hi yubiuser,

The reason why I would just like to revert back a month or two is because I just updated to the latest version a week or two ago, and since then I have had all sorts of trouble with my existing network. The only change that has been made is the update, and I am curious if that is the culprit.

This is not a permanent solution but just a temporary one so I can sort out my next steps. I have a few google onhubs that are in the network right now and Google has dropped support for them so I cannot change any settings they have.

Because of this I would like to dowgrade to see if that fixes up the network or whether the onHubs are the ones to blame, and then if I would need to buy new network equipment.

You can revert the DNS part (FTL) by checking out an older tag like mentioned above. However, you can't checkout older tags on core and web yet. (This will be implemented by Allow to checkout tags via `pihole checkout` by yubiuser · Pull Request #5259 · pi-hole/pi-hole · GitHub - however, checking out core tags before the release of this PR will always fails)

I'd say probably the safest way (and likely easiest) to switch between versions would be to deploy Pi-hole via Docker instead

2 Likes