Hostnames not being resolved

Hi

I'm hoping someone can help a very new Pi-hole user!

I have Pi-hole setup on a raspberry Zero and it is working very well, I am more than pleased with the performance.

However, I seem to have the classic problem of not having hostnames being resolved. I have set up conditional forwarding as per the advice in Pi-hole and found on this forum, with no success.

Most likley I'm making a rookie error somewhere, I just can't see it!

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Expected Behaviour:

• hostnames resolved
  • raspberry pi zero running FTL5.2
  • router (Deco M9) is set as my DHCP server
  • Pi-hole set as DNS server in my router
  • router is connected to my ISP provided router (I know - probably not best practice!)

Actual Behaviour:

• hostnames are not being resolved, only IPs showing

Debug Token:

Your debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/7mmo3acvlv

Hi, run the following on your clien and post the output:

nslookup pi-hole.net

So are you saying, that internal or external hostnames can't be resolved ?

Since you can see IP addresses in Pi-hole, map those IPs to client names in either /etc/hosts on the Pi or by using the Local DNS records tab.

Ah I see he means in the Dashboard :smiley:

Well then the conditional forwarding does not seem to work.

Post a screenshot of the (conditional forward) configuriation

Hi

Thanks for the reply, really appreciated.

It's internal hostnames that are not being resolved, devices that are connected to my local network.

Output of nslookup pi-hole.net

Server: 1.1.1.1
Address: 1.1.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: pi-hole.net
Address: 192.124.249.118

So I assume that appears to be working?

Thanks for the reply!

I was hoping to avoid any manual inputting of the hostnames - I'll have a look at it though!

This client is not using pihole as DNS server. It uses 1.1.1.1 instead.

My conditional formatting setup:

I ran the command from my raspZero, the device pihole is runnig on - does that make a difference?

I quickly ran it from another client to get this, this is my pihole DNS server, so looks ok?

Then it's Ok.

It shows your client uses Piholes as DNS server and only the device hosting pihole uses 1.1.1.1

No. Your setup here is fine. The Pi doesn't need to use Pi-hole for DNS and there are advantages to the way you have it setup.

I find that reserving all the IPs for regular network clients (my router is th DHCP server) makes it easier to manage my network. The same mapping to client names is in all my Pi-holes.

Many thanks for this, super advice.

I've added some of my reserved IPs via the Local DNS Records tab and all is working well, names are now being shown in the dashboard and Tools>Network.

That looks like the only way I'm going to get it to work for the moment.

Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.