Hints on setting up Pi-Hole as a local DNS Server

The issue I am facing:
I am running into difficulties getting pi-hole to properly see local machines. When running nslookup or dig. It is going to 8.8.8.8 for resolution instead of itself (127.0.0.1). I can't figure out what configuration I am missing.

Details about my system:
Ubuntu 18.04 in a VM on VirtualBox 6.1.14 on a MacMini host.

What I have changed since installing Pi-hole:
This is a fresh install. This is a test VM that I use to validate upgrades of OS and Pi-hole before I implement on my "production" machine. On the test machine, I did a in place Ubuntu upgrade to 20.04. This broke DNS. Trying to figure out the right procedures so that I can upgrade my "production" Pi-hole.

Any hints would be much appreciated.

What's the reasoning behind picking v5-0 and ftldns-beta as categories for your topic?
Pi-hole 5.0 has been released in May 2020 - there is currently no beta test.

With regards to your observation:
It would seem you are referring to DNS resolution for the machine that hosts Pi-hole, and since you are talking about updates, it may be a good idea to read the release notes:

• Pi-hole no longer changes the nameserver assigned to the Pi (in /etc/resolv.conf). The existing nameserver settings for the Pi-hole host are respected and unchanged.

Also, have a look at Correct Resolv.conf entry in pihole 5.11 - #2 by jfb for different valid choices for your personal pick of DNS servers for the Pi-hole machine itself.

Sorry about the tag choices. I just was adding tags. Will ignore them next time.

Thanks. Tried pouring over all of the documentation and guides. But not the release notes. Thanks for the tip.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.