Having issues getting Pihole to start

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using nginx instead of lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.

Expected Behaviour:

-operating system: Raspbian Release 10
-hardware: Raspberry Pi Zero W

Actual Behaviour:

Fresh install of Pihole on Pi Zero W but after the setup and first reboot, Pihole doesn't work. Admin shows Lost connection to API. Status is DNS service not running and FTL offline.

In the router, I changed DNS to Pihole's, restarted router, logged in to Pihole but same problem. Once I enable Pihole from he Admin panel, a page refresh disables it again.

On running Pihole restartdns, I get "Job for pihole-FTL.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "system to status pihole-FTL.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details

I'm fairly new to Pihole and Pi in general with basic Linux knowledge. Any help would be fine

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/erda4r2y8m

What is the output of

Here's the output

systemctl status pihole-FTL.service
● pihole-FTL.service - LSB: pihole-FTL daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL; generated)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2020-11-19 23:36:28 IST; 9h ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 4986 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL start (code=exited, status=2)

Nov 19 23:36:28 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting LSB: pihole-FTL daemon...
Nov 19 23:36:28 raspberrypi pihole-FTL[4986]: /etc/init.d/pihole-FTL: line 46:
Nov 19 23:36:28 raspberrypi systemd[1]: pihole-FTL.service: Control process exi
Nov 19 23:36:28 raspberrypi systemd[1]: pihole-FTL.service: Failed with result
Nov 19 23:36:28 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: pihole-FTL daemon.
lines 1-11/11 (END)

I did a clean install on another sd card and Pi hole is now working fine. I updated my Pi Zero first and then installed Pi Hole. I'll monitor this for a few days to see if things are working properly. Seems like my Pi Zero didn't like my previous card.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.