Groups for whitelist / blacklist and can enable / disable those groups separately

Sometimes when a user working with google web consoles/ analytics / adwords, the user might want to add a group of domain names into the whitelist, not using the disable pihole globally .

Similar to other situations.

@Mcat12 @PromoFaux What do you think if this idea?
We could still implement this before releasing v5.0.

See

I think that if this use case is sufficiently solved by just allowing individual domains to be enabled/disabled, then we shouldn't add unnecessary complexity.

@rampage123 If you could enable or disable individual domains on the whitelist and blacklist, would that work for your use case?

A little additional complexity is not a necessarily a bad thing.

I can see the benefit in grouping for quick enabling/disabling of a batch of lists or domains on the whitelist/blacklist. Better they are in a group than remembering which domains it is that one needs to disable/enable in order to access a particular site.

JMTC

If we do implement this, I think it would be best if we wait until after we release the API and new web interface. This much new complexity may cause issues in the old web interface, and we couldn't support even using the new functionality (besides direct database interaction) without doing lots of work on the old web interface.

1 Like

I was thinking of something similar to this original post.

A set of websites grouped into a 'playlist' that can be turned on/off for various reasons.
I personally see this as more of a UX enhancement, but obviously a code feature as well.

I like the idea of adding websites to a list titled 'development', 'videos' or 'waste of time'.
Turning them off and on with a simple button would be such a powerful little feature.

Maybe too simple for this community, but helpful for noobs and non-techies.

We will not add managing the groups to the old (= current) web interface. However, if we already add the necessarily fields to the gravity database before releasing it for the first time, we can avoid complex (and possibly time consuming) database scheme manipulations when we finally introduce this feature in the future.

The implementation I proposed will add all domains to one group which is enabled by default. Users will only be able to manage lists in a release that ships the new API + web interface.

Group management and enable/disable is implemented in Pihole v5.0.