Graph gets funky on daylight savings time

This seems like a situation that isn't very important, but I thought it was worth noting that the "Queries Over Time" graph gets a little bit strange when daylight savings time hits:

1 Like

Thanks for reporting!

As you have seen the DST switching now, I assume you are in the US or Canada? I have still two weeks until it gets triggered for me :wink:

That might really be something we have to live with, as - as you already pointed out - it does not disturb too much and I have no idea how to actually do anything ybout it - because what you see is what actually happens - your local time jump and hence there is one hour that exists twice in the log.

It could easily be solved if we would show the graph with respect to UTC (no DST switching), but I'm fairly sure that most people want to see local time.

Yes, I'm in the US. I did look in /var/log/pihole.log just to see -- it appears to be in UTC.

Maybe plotting vs. UTC but setting the labels to local time would work? You'd get repeat labels but it wouldn't jump around.

The FTL engine which we are currently working on and want to release for pre-testing soon(TM) will always only work with UTC time stamps. It then depends on the graph renderer used on the dashboard to create proper labels. It may or not just work with the next update - let's see.

Hmm, this is not the case for me - compare with the output of date (first is local time, second is UTC):

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ tail -n1 /var/log/pihole.log
Mar 12 18:53:33 dnsmasq[19609]: reply 2.android.pool.ntp.org is 129.70.132.37

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ date
So 12. Mär 18:53:46 CET 2017

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ date -u
So 12. Mär 17:53:51 UTC 2017

I double checked my logs, turns out my pi's set to use UTC as its local time-zone :slight_smile:

I don't know where the local-time comes from for the graph, but as you said, if the next update is changing the way the graphs work, it's probably not the time to look into this too deeply.

There is a Javascript engine involved that runs in your browser for doing nice formatting. I suppose it applies the local time set on your computer to the display.